paragraph 21/38

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
>>>
I currently have a full tank and use a maximum of a quarter of a tank a year.
>>>

But how big is the tank? If its, say, 16000l then 4000l will get you a few miles or so:)
Don't mean to be sarcastic but the statement was very akin to some of the soundbites used in the media that sound impressive while giving out no actual information.

fdmarsden

Visit site
The tank size is immaterial.

My point is that many boats will have a significant proportion of red after a considerable time.

Given the end of derogation, then a random test at a future date could be embarrasing, at the very least.

I further assume that one would be allowed to use what was previously bought; the alternative of removing the fuel and cleaning the system is, in my view, unacceptable.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Sorry frank, misunderstood there.

Unless the tank is cleaned, and certified as such, together will the whole fuel system, red residue will remain for years, certainly enough for you to be spotted if tested. That is HMRC's big problem.

zeros

Visit site
Surely all they have to do is tax red at the same rate as white and then the fisherman and commercial users will have to claim it back with there vat returns?

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Surely all they have to do is tax red at the same rate as white and then the fisherman and commercial users will have to claim it back with there vat returns?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bit of a beggar on the cash flow: not that the politicos would give a toss...

fdmarsden

Visit site
Andrew,

Thank you.

Don't quite know how to do this, but would like to mix 10% red with 90% white, and see just how red my 2015 tank might be.

The maths was:-

Assume use 25% of tank each year, and fill up with white
Therefore at end of first year 75% red then 56% (75 x .75) then 42% etc, a sort of compound disinterest.

I suspect that diesel with 10% red will still look red.

Real answer is that the end of derogation, like the sale of illegals on ebay simply cannot be policed.

SNAFU

G

Red with white doesn\'t work .................

Red is a visual indication.

The real cop is the yellow marker ! Which is chemically tested for. That is so hard to remove from your system.

Sorry mate .... you can mix your red and still get caught.

fdmarsden

Visit site
Re: Red with white doesn\'t work .................

My point is that I have legally bought red, (and have at least this year's receipt)

I assume that I own this fuel, and may continue to use it.
The mention in Ann Little's report on red in boats for 'several months' implies this to be true.

If I then buy white at the rate of a quarter of a tank per year, significant quantities of dye will remain, even by the end of the possible five year's extension of derogation.

The reduction of dye could be accelerated by running the amount of fuel in the tank to a low level; I doubt the RNLI would applaud that idea.

My point is that I, together with many boat owners, will have legally obtained fuel with dye for a considerable period.

G

I understand and I have similar situation ....

I have a 70 litre tank and I fill it maybe one time per year or less. The actual amount averaged per year - probably 30 - 40 litres each time.

My last fuel receipt ? Dunno where that is now ....