Paperwork after buying a boat

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Eventually, after buying a used boat, the owner turns up with a folder containing historical data. Mainly invoices. I have decided that boat owners are nuts!.
My current boat had a keel repair not that long ago. The cost of the repair is more than I paid for the boat. It also had a new mast about ten year's ago and I have no idea why. ????

So, what experiences have you had ?

Daydream believer

Visit site
Eventually, after buying a used boat, the owner turns up with a folder containing historical data. Mainly invoices. I have decided that boat owners are nuts!.
Wait until you come to sell the boat. Keep all your invoices. See what you think about your statement then.
I suggest that it will be a case of the pot calling the kettle black :unsure: :rolleyes::(

neil_s

Visit site
Keep fixing up the old stuff - that's the real way to save the planet. Looking around my trusty command, I see the spray hood that was fitted to the boat when I bought it 22 years ago - now with many patches!

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
My current boat had a keel repair not that long ago. The cost of the repair is more than I paid for the boat. It also had a new mast about ten year's ago and I have no idea why. ????

So, what experiences have you had ?
That's fantastic.

You have a very detailed history of the boat. Make sure you continue the practice.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
That's fantastic.

You have a very detailed history of the boat. Make sure you continue the practice.

Why? After a period of time the invoices and receipts are worthless bits of paper that don't even represent the current status of the boat. Has the key been bumped since then, the mast over loaded in a Chinese gybe but still in place? It is just a load of trash paperwork that has little value. Keep the current stuff, but bin the out of date stuff as it just becomes an overhead.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I've spent at least twice the purchase price in the 6 years I've owned my yacht. It's a hobby not an investment.
Too true.
The problem is when a boat,normally wood, has been in the family for a number of generations and handed down.

A bit like a dog or cat getting ill, we can spend vast sums on vet bills .

I recently sold a boat that had over 30 years of invoices, pictures and handbooks retained by previous owners. Both the new owner and myself appreciate them.

tillergirl

Visit site
And in case there is an insurance claim. When I still had Tiller Girl I had a full set of expensive wet weather gear. I had to sell TG on account of arthritis and bought a motor boat and promptly had a theft. The loss adjuster challenged why a motor boater owner would have owned a full set of wet weather. I had to prove I had and when purchased the gear and present a photograph showing the gear was still in perfect nick.