Panama Canal timelapse video

silver-fox

yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com
[ QUOTE ]
Fascinating.

Curious, though, as to why the foredeck is devoid of people for the middle part of the passage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you look closely it starts to rain (deck goes shiny) and the radar scanner on the bow starts up - maybe they had to move?

Fascinating piece of film though

CliveG

Visit site
Found another Live feed site
PanCanal.com

Just caught a couple of yachts going through.
Pan-yacht.jpg

Giblets

Visit site
This one is also facinating seeing the different types/sizes of the ships passing through (not to mention the odd yacht /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif)

Cruiser2B

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
perhaps it was also a bit cold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Panama's a couple degrees North of the Equator - the rain is hot. I'd guess it would be the rain and maybe the radar that cleared the foc'sle - it is a tropical rain forest after all, and the rain is quite heavy, thankfully as it's needed to replenish Lake Gatun - no pumps needed.

cookjwm

Visit site
We spent 3 hrs watching the lock web cam at each end to see our daughters boat go through ..entry by appointment..and they went through 1 hour early each time! VERY boring! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

chiefeng

Visit site
The foredeck clears i suspect because the mid part is gatun lake which is pretty boring and it also coincides with lunch. The trransit gets interesting again when you get to Gillards cut through the continental devide (where the andes change to the rockies).
There would also be a ranger on board to give a running commentary and they stop for lunch too during the lake passage!!
Rgds
Bob