Panama Anchorage

rubbishman

Visit site
Hi everyone,anyone know about the anchoring situation on the atlantic side of the Panama canal please. I"ve heard it's dangrous by the Flats now.So some people are telling me you are best anchoring by the old yacht club? or is there a new one? thanks.

dansaskip

seabear.uk
Don't know about it being dangerous but when I went through there on Monday there was no-one anchored there (maybe that is why). I have heard of other people speak of the anchoring of Club Nauticao (a bit north around Punta Manzanillo) but apparently space is limited and its busy with commercial vessels.
Most people seem to opt for the marina at Shelter Bay - there is generally space there even in busy times.

Stingo

Visit site
The anchorage at Club Nautico is very roly, but also very convenient for the Super 99 supermarket (about a 5 minute walk there and a US$2 or $3 taxi ride back). The fresh vegetable market is a US$1-00 taxi ride each way. Shelter Bay is better known as Shelter Pay and is in the middle of nowhere, so shopping is very difficult and gets expensive with taxis. The Muuricans will tell you that Colon is unsafe; in the week that I was anchored in Club Nautico, I never had a problem (but did not go out at night ever).

Another good thing about the Club Nautico anchorage is that Customs & Irritation are in the same complex as the Super 99, so very convenient for formalities. If you're heading through the Canal and into the Pacific, clear out in Colon and don't stop on the other side - it is seriously horrible there. You only stop briefly off Bilboa Yacht Club to drop off your lines, fenders, Canal adviser and any additional line handlers.

Stingo

Visit site
p.s. If you are headed through the Canal, doing the paperwork has become very easy i.e. you don't need a Canal Agent, which will save you about US$300 - $400. Ask Mr Google for help on doing the transit and he will provide all the necessary links and advice.

Budgieboy

Visit site
The anchorage at Club Nautico is very roly, but also very convenient for the Super 99 supermarket (about a 5 minute walk there and a US$2 or $3 taxi ride back). The fresh vegetable market is a US$1-00 taxi ride each way. Shelter Bay is better known as Shelter Pay and is in the middle of nowhere, so shopping is very difficult and gets expensive with taxis. The Muuricans will tell you that Colon is unsafe; in the week that I was anchored in Club Nautico, I never had a problem (but did not go out at night ever).

Another good thing about the Club Nautico anchorage is that Customs & Irritation are in the same complex as the Super 99, so very convenient for formalities. If you're heading through the Canal and into the Pacific, clear out in Colon and don't stop on the other side - it is seriously horrible there. You only stop briefly off Bilboa Yacht Club to drop off your lines, fenders, Canal adviser and any additional line handlers.

If it's seriously horrible on the other side , where is it best to stop when through the canal ? ��

temptress

gbr195t.com
If it's seriously horrible on the other side , where is it best to stop when through the canal ? ��

I disagree with this. We had several weeks at anchor on the Pacific side last year. We headed west
Conventional wisdom is to stock up in Colon. Imo it's easier and cheaper to do this on the Pacific side. Just avoid the Balboa Yc . It's only a bar anyway these days. The anchorage can get crowed this time of year with boats waiting for the Pacific season to start. You can usually find space then move closer in as boats leave. West bound transits usually get to the anchorage at or just after dusk. Don't miss Panama city it fascinating and if you are heading to the Pacific it the last city for a very long time long time.

Last edited: