painting grp

G

I have GRP boat approximately 20 years old that has never been painted and is still the genuine gel coat . This is 95% mark free (just the odd minor scratches) not even a slightest dinge. However the colour is a bit dirty and tired looking and I am wondering whether it is adviseable to paint it or would this de-value it? If I did paint what paint should be used and what procedures should be taken? Should I leave the hull and just paint the decks and cabin? Any advise please

G

Hello Grahamcamm. I am replying to your mesage posted on PBO forum concerning a 20 year-old grp yacht in need of a paint job. My advice, don't. Until you try a product called Vertglas made by the Lovett Pump Co. here in the states (Ohio) and available from West Marine or Boat/US also here in the states but I know they ship worldwide at fair prices.

I have a 29 year-old Grampian (a Canadian sloop) here in Rochester, New York on Lake Ontario. I used Vertglas to restore my boat last year and people think I just had it painted! It really works on older boats. You rub out the hull with their ribbing compound, wash with their soap and apply the finish solution with a special sponge brush. It is a copolymer that produces restored color and great shine. Less work than waxing. If you don't like it yuou can always clean it and paint it. Check out International Paint or Petit for do it yourself paint. But try Vertglas first. Bill Triggs

johnsomerhausen

Visit site
I didn't like the "buff white" colour on the boat I bought second hand, so I painted her with "Brightisde", the US equivalent of Interlux' "Toplac". Applied a coat of primer first, after sanding her and filling in all the minutes cracks. Then applied two coats of "Brightside" and she looked great. A more durable (but more difficult to apply) paint is the two-components "Interthane", but that one is above my level of incompetence as a painter....
john

byron

RIP
Visit site
Having recently sold my boat I can tell you a stock question was "have you painted it" it seems this is considered a cardinal sin. My advice is "DON'T"

©2001

Avocet

Visit site
Try buffing it with a professional car paint buffer and some buffing compound. You might be able to hire one from a tool hire shop.