Hi Richard

I have just had my boat name painted on my stern
by a retired artist chap
done a good job and is very reasonable with his prices

He lives near ipswich

Send me a PM if you want his tele number

Lakesailor

Visit site
Having been a sign writer/maker in the past, and have sign written more boats than I care to remember, forget paint, go with vinyl, preferably cast. There are 2 main types of vinyl, cast & calendared. Cast is much softer and lasts way longer and slightly more expensive, calendared is thicker and not as pliable.

You can have dropped shadows in vinyl too, in any font style & almost any colour. In the end I only ever did vinyl lettering on anything, no point in painting any more, and when done badly they look awful and ruin the finish of any boat, as it will be the first thing you will see every time you look at it.

Breizh :cool:
No-one seems to be listening to you. Sigh.

Why would you bother with painting when you can put a name on in 10 minutes

crewname4.jpg

name3.jpg

Last edited:

Breizh

Visit site
Well Lakesailor, you have seen the merits of vinyl, and have made very good use of it! The dropped shadow looks excellent, & well fitted. **Sigh** some people just like to learn the hard way huh? :eek: Anyway, whatever floats your boat ;)

A nice hand-painted bit of lettering does look well, but unfortunately just doesn't last as long as vinyl in sea conditions. Still, it's nice to have a choice.

Why not practice on a piece of painted or varnished timber first to see how you get on? That way you won't cause any damage, and also know if you are up to the task?

Breize. :cool:

prv

Visit site
I was under the impression that you had to have the name of the boat on it. Is this not so?

Only if it's Part One registered.

If it's on the Small Ships Register then I'm fairly sure you just need the SSR number to the approved size, and if it's not registered then there's nothing to say you have to display a name on it or even have a name at all.

Kindred Spirit never had a name on the hull in our ownership - the previous owner had just repainted the topsides when we bought her and hadn't yet applied his (stick-on :) ) letters, and I never got round to doing it either. She did have the name on the dodgers, but it was in grey on grey so you could only see it at close range when the stitching became visible. No idea why they were done like that.

On the rare occasions I've used my handheld VHF from my mate's various tatty motorboats, I've identified us as "Greyrib" (when the boat was a grey RIB) and "Picton One-Eight" (when it was an 18-foot speedboat with the model name "Picton 18" written on the side). Neither boat had any kind of name, they were just "my boat" in the same way that he'd refer to "my car" or "my toolbox".

Pete