Paddle Boards

Old Crusty

Visit site
Yes, and if they join the British Canoe thingy or whatever its called this week, its included. Had a couple turn up at Boveney a few years ago, demanding to be put through the lock. I told them that without a bow and stern line, they were in contravention of TCA safety requirements and were refused passage so they scooted down the rollers.

CJL

Visit site
Paddleboards and inflatable canoes are on special at Aldi this week. Coasties must be well happy with them!
CJL

plumbob

Visit site
Spent the last couple of days at Benson. Colne came through and totally ignored the 8 blow up paddle boarding folks zotting around the lock area. Just out of interest, 16 lockings, none at what might be classed as lunchtime, only 8 manned. Just saying.

Time Out

Visit site
33 degrees. Idiot weather.

It will be interesting to observe behaviour, preferably from a socially distant viewpoint.

I shall be observing from the White Swan while ensuring the boat does not get stuck on the lunchtime tide... I may even make it 101 out there and blow up my own !

Parabordi

Visit site
Spent the last couple of days at Benson. Colne came through and totally ignored the 8 blow up paddle boarding folks zotting around the lock area.
Course they did, same as the recent Speed Camera pictures it is all spin, how many tickets did they actually issue for anything in the last month..?

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Yes, and if they join the British Canoe thingy or whatever its called this week, its included. Had a couple turn up at Boveney a few years ago, demanding to be put through the lock. I told them that without a bow and stern line, they were in contravention of TCA safety requirements and were refused passage so they scooted down the rollers.
British Canoeing membership, which includes kayaks and paddle boards, has increased by over 11,000 in recent months to well over 40,000. As you say, membership includes licences for all major waterways including the Thames and BC have a block agreement with the EA.

Last edited:

Old Crusty

Visit site
Course they did, same as the recent Speed Camera pictures it is all spin, how many tickets did they actually issue for anything in the last month..?

Sounds like a FOI request coming up! The speed guns are unreliable IMO and I doubt the evidence would stand up in court if a case even reached it - we know when a boat is speeding, it creates wash across the river that breaks on the bank. The last speeding miscreant damaged so many boats at Henley (was it Rewind?) with many irate boat owners making formal statements that he did get a hefty fine.

I would be interested to know how many boats are checked weekly and the number of bookings issued for failing to register. Usually, about 90% cough up when they get a ticket, 5% wait till they get the notice of intended prosecution and 5% go to court. Meanwhile, the EA coffers benefit but I think the incentive to pursue the great unregistered is gone as the more the EA rakes in, the less Grant in Aid the Treasury/DEFRA doles out each year. Bonkers innit.

oldgit

Visit site
Would love to try one, but have trouble staying upright on dry land.

My son in law has bought one of those £40.00 blow up canoes.
He has just spent 4 times that on bouyancy aids.
All lifejackets on my boat are auto inflate so no use of those.
We are going up above Allington lock for couple of nights to give the canoe a try.
Anything I can do to get the grandkids ( 2 x 7 + a 2 year old) actually onto the water will be worth a punt, their interest in grandads Gin Palace is limited to the wide screen TV and internet coverage, everyone else only cares about the lack of charging capacity for their Ipads. :(

Last edited:

Portland Billy

Visit site
I'm sick of slowing down to slowly pass young leggy female paddleboarders wearing shorty-shorts and skimpy tops with long flowing hair and.......

Time Out

Visit site
... without a buoyancy aid.

I have to say that the majority on my stretch wear buoyancy aids, plenty with kids on back and front but again all wearing safety kit. its the 100 quid Lidl middle aisle kayak bargains that are without anything.

That said the majority of paddleboards are hired between Tedd and Richmond

Elessar

Visit site
I have to say that the majority on my stretch wear buoyancy aids, plenty with kids on back and front but again all wearing safety kit. its the 100 quid Lidl middle aisle kayak bargains that are without anything.

That said the majority of paddleboards are hired between Tedd and Richmond
the paddleboard IS the buoyancy aid as you are tethered to it. Instructions sometimes advise against them as it makes getting on harder. I never wear one on it.
Having said that I've yet to fall off.

Time Out

Visit site
the paddleboard IS the buoyancy aid as you are tethered to it. Instructions sometimes advise against them as it makes getting on harder. I never wear one on it.
Having said that I've yet to fall off.

Well yes! but interestingly the PLA (not EA so my Tedd / Rich reach) advise against ankle tethers instead using a waist one based on its ease to remove more quickly in the event it goes under a barge or obstruction.

Likewise, I don't wear one and have yet to fall off, the sheer thought of falling in the Thames keeps the mind focussed on staying on ;)