Owatrol Deks Olie D1 on Teak Wheelhouse

colinstone

Visit site
Hopefully there is some Deks Olie D1 experience here.

I've decided to use Deks Olie D1 for my teak wheelhouse interior - 4m x 3m with 15 sizeable windows, each with 4 glazing beads.
It is replacing 20 year old 2 component varnish which was allowing water underneath, particularly at the joints. I stripped the old stuff off with a hot air gun and Bahco 650 Ergo scraper, sanded with 60 grit, then 120 grit and de oiled with 2 passes of alcohol.

I then applied D1 to the horizontal panels with a 2" foam roller and brush. Trying to apply D1 on a vertical panel is pretty hopeless.
How many coats should I really aim for??
I put 15/16 coats on the doors wet on wet - 4h30m - as a trial and it is drying out to be quite a thick satin layer. It has penetrated all through the wood and panel joints - and the cylinder locks!!

1000023754.jpg

Other panels were caught by rain after around 6/7 wet on wet coats, so now have water drop damage. My plan is to use fine wire wool to sand and then a couple more coats of D1 just to finish off. Hopefully, the first coats have done sufficient penetration as i realise that there probably won't be more more after the drying has taken place.

I also have 60 teak glazing beads to do. My idea is to lie them in a rain gutter length/plant window box with lots of D1 to fully soak it up and give them some agitation. How long? ? A few hours? And then stand vertically to drain excess off and dry.

1000023755.jpg

Hacker

Visit site
I tend to put it on with a rag, dead easy. You let it get almost dry and apply the next coat and continue until the wood doesn’t soak up anymore. Wipe of the excess. You can leave it at that if you want a matt finish or the apply Deks Olje 2 for a gloss.

Tranona

Visit site
Welcome to the forum

Waste of time in my opinion. Not a good product, particularly for the interior. Better to use of the products made specifically for interiors

Tranona

Visit site
Both Hempel and International have suitable products. Epifanes have a good range including a rubbed finish final coat which gives a satin finish. Le Tonkinois gets good reports here although I have not used it myself. There are also many non marine coatings that are suitable. Many older production boats used Morrels lacquer rather than varnish. My experience with Deks Olje was poor. D1 may soak in, but that in itself is not of any benefit particularly on interior wood, but it also means it evaporates out very quickly unless you apply D2 to seal it and D2 gives a poor cosmetic finish and in my experience is prone to rapid breakdown.

srm

Visit site
Sorry to be negative but used Deks Olie on the (removable) hard wood toe rails and handrails for a steel boat. Many hours of work one winter undercover. Did not penetrate the hardwood and needed replacing after a couple of seasons. I suspect it works best on the more absorbent slow grown soft woods that was used for boat building in Scandinavia.

Poignard

Visit site
Oh dear! I have been tidying out the garage and I found some DeksOlje that I thought I might be able to sell here but nobody's going to want it now. :(