Overnighting onboard in Scotland

JumbleDuck

Visit site
You can order them, you have been told to use them if visiting the islands, so just tick the advised by local authority box.

It could not be any easier. I use the service regularly due to the nature of my job and traveling.

No dishonesty required.
It's not quite dishonesty but it's also not quite true either. I haven't been asked to get tested by a local authority; I have been asked by the Scottish government to be prepared to get tested at a future date.

As dunedin says, they clearly haven't updated the form - there should be an option for "I plan to visit a Scottish island" as well.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Not rushing into this - had both jabs now and we have the free 7 test box but there is so much talk about false positives that I think the safest thing is to stay away from the Islands for a while - there's plenty of other places for the time being.
The lateral flow tests in use have, very, very low rates of false positives - about 0.03%.

When done by member of the public the false negative rate is quite high, between 25 and 40%, but of course that's only the probability of a negative test given that you have the virus, and the chance of having the virus is very low so the number of false negatives is also very low.

(Figures at What do we know about lateral flow tests and mass testing in schools?)

wully1

Visit site
Yes I tried to order the tests online and for Scotland it wasn't possible if you accurately answered the questions. Clearly SG hadn’t planned ahead and updated the site before the announcement (in spite of 4 weeks or so planning the access to the Islands). And not available from our local medical practice or pharmacies.
Apparently will be available to order from Monday - but with current postal leadtimes, plus take 3 days before that is probably a week and a half late for any actual travel planned from Monday - but hey ho. It isn’t mandatory anyway.

Good news is that we are at least proceeding to the freeing up from 26th April.

And going back to the topic of this thread, RYA Scotland haven’t seen any need to update their announcement, so presumably staying aboard on anchor is “not prohibited” prior to then anyway.

I ordered a pack yesterday, arrived today..

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Me too. Seems odd that a man who can make a round trip of ~140miles to perform "essential" maintenance on his boat to get it launched balks at ticking a box on a 'puter screen.
In my case, once I have decided which box to tick I have to find my mobile, drive three miles for reception and the drive back again, hoping that the magic code doesn't expire too quickly. The RBS uses codes which expire in about ten seconds less than it takes me to get back ... until I got them to drop the codes and use my card instead it once took me seven goes to get a new recipient added to my account.

Luckily my crew has a stack of tests from school so if necessary I'll nick a couple of those.

wully1

Visit site
In my case, once I have decided which box to tick I have to find my mobile, drive three miles for reception and the drive back again, hoping that the magic code doesn't expire too quickly. The RBS uses codes which expire in about ten seconds less than it takes me to get back ... until I got them to drop the codes and use my card instead it once took me seven goes to get a new recipient added to my account.

Luckily my crew has a stack of tests from school so if necessary I'll nick a couple of those.

Huh? Why do you need a code for RBS to order free kits?

wully1

Visit site
Oban transit marina and Lochaline pontoons opening again on the 26th :) :)

Notes:

1. The Oban Inn is setting up its outside seating so you’ll only have to stagger 100 m back to your boat.
2. Lochaline is pronounced “Loch Alan “:p

D

Deleted member 36384

Both LadyOldBoots and my test kist came through today with my appointment for the second jag as well. Reading through the kit instructions it is a very easy thing to do. As a tool in the box to help prevent spread it is probably worth it. For example, I can attend work activities (no testing required where I am shore based), come home, test myself, confirm all is okay, then head to the boat. As I said earlier though, as a tool it is only effective if enough people do it, irrespective of visiting islands.

Hopefully, data will show that post second jag, transmission rates also fall significantly from fully vaccinated people and do away with voluntary self testing.

D

Deleted member 36384

... they clearly haven't updated the form - there should be an option for "I plan to visit a Scottish island" as well.

No there should not be, in my opinion, it should just be based on wanting to do a self test, irrespective of the reason. Where does it end, need one to visit a club, concert, pub, restaurant? All these activities have been discussed as reasons for testing to open up the economy. The Scottish Island thing is a political sop.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
No there should not be, in my opinion, it should just be based on wanting to do a self test, irrespective of the reason. Where does it end, need one to visit a club, concert, pub, restaurant? All these activities have been discussed as reasons for testing to open up the economy. The Scottish Island thing is a political sop.
I agree, sort of, but as long as "visiting a Scottish island" is an official reason for a test, it might as well be there.

gus

www.whysuffer.co.uk
There is one advantage to being a Scot wearing a kilt - no chance of getting your knickers in a twist! Stop worrying about the unlawful restrictions and get on with enjoying your boating. If you are not sure, then watch ukcolumn.org for the most accurate information. Many of us up here are already taking advantage of our fine weather. Just look at Pladda island yesterday.DSC00087.JPG

JumbleDuck

Visit site
If you drop tap water on the lateral flow test - it registers positive.
%22Citation_needed%22.jpg

wully1

Visit site
There is one advantage to being a Scot wearing a kilt - no chance of getting your knickers in a twist! Stop worrying about the unlawful restrictions and get on with enjoying your boating. If you are not sure, then watch ukcolumn.org for the most accurate information. Many of us up here are already taking advantage of our fine weather. Just look at Pladda island yesterday.View attachment 114095

“Unlawful restrictions”? FFS..

Other threads that may be of interest