Outboards on Inflatables

G

Having inherited a fairly ancient but serviceable Avon Redstart 3 years ago, I have found it very good in it's rowing format - even against strong winds and tides.

But........ when I have tried fastening a 2hp Honda it turns into a crabbing blancmange with the engine bouncing about and the whole episode turning into a farce. It has the two pronged board arrangement by the way.

Does inflation have to be rock hard ? Or is the outboard too heavy ? Is their a modification that user's have worked out ?

It's over to you !

Many Thanks in anticipation of possible solutions.

andyball

Visit site
We had a similarly bracketed Barrus dinghy, with a 4hp 4 stroke.....it did jump around rather!, and the barrus bracket 'bolts' to the rear tubes, so is probably more rigid.

We used to blow up the barrus quite firmly.....it was carried inflated in a van....last summer it stretched so much during a choppy outing that I couldn't get it back in the van!...it had grown/stretched rather, not just temporary either...I think some of the seams had moved.. Oops! used less pressure after that.

andrewbarker

Visit site
Yes, the Honda's heavy for a Redstart. You've got no keel, no vee and no bows in the water for steerage. You really want a featherweight 2 stroke like a Suzuki or, as I found at Beaulieu, a tiny 1 horse 2 stroke weighing 9 Kg costing me all of £50. Also try some weight in the bow.

G

Inflate it hard but also check that the black bracket attachments on the dinghy don't need re-glueing.

oh and sit as far forward as you can!!!!

Pete