Outboard won't start

RJJ

Visit site
Hi - grateful for any tips and diagnosis on the following please

Trying to start 2str outboard for the first time this year. Fresh can of petrol.

It fired on the second pull and ran for about fifteen seconds, with water coming out of the back. Then stopped. Subsequent pulls have aroused not so much as a sputter - regardless of throttle or choke settings. But there is tiny amount of oil coming to the surface every time I pull the cord.

We have had this for two years and it's always run like a dream except in the first season when I had the carb cleaned.

I don't know much about the outboard - so either there's an easy fix, or it's off for some professional help. Advice very welcome.

Many thanks indeed

VicS

Visit site
You don't say what make , model or year, but but check sparks, ideally check that they will jump a good air gap (7/16" if it has cd gnition)

If OK check for fuel flow ....... Is the tank vent open?.
Remote tank or integral tank?

Try new plugs

Tryspraying some fuel mixture into the carb throat....... it ought to fire and run briefly

Did you ditch all old fuel?

Maybe the carb will need cleaning.

James_Calvert

Visit site
Continuing with the obvious...
if one cylinder, has the spark plug lead fallen off?

Have you left it for a while before trying again?

RJJ

Visit site
Thanks, Yamaha 6hp 2str of indeterminate vintage with external tank.

Yes, started with a completely empty can before fresh fuel. Kill cord and breather all ok. Waited 30 mins and tried again.

I am sure what you are saying about spark plugs and the carb makes perfect sense ? and thank you. Not sure if those are within my limited skills and tools given I am on my mooring and it's honking 30 knots.

So I am going to row ashore and give it to a pro. Am I being a wuss and should try fixing it myself?

Many thanks

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Give it to a person who knows what he’s doing, given your circumstances. I’ve happily stripped and rebuilt several outboards over the past few years but became frustrated by my current Yamaha 4hp 2 stroke: cleaned the carb and pump, replaced the plug all the usual tricks which failed to produce an engine which went when asked. Took it to the local outboard man who fettled it and gave it back working. Charged me £30 for the privilege and the engine has worked faultlessly since, including this last week when it started with old petrol on the third pull after 6 months doing nothing. No idea what he did, but it worked…

Reactions: RJJ

James_Calvert

Visit site
Unless your landing is downwind I'd be looking for a tow in 30 knots!

It would be best to get ashore safely to have a proper look there if you can.

Any other obvious reason it stopped, eg got swamped by a wave?

stu9000

Visit site
I have been on this journey getting to know my aged Yamaha 2 stroke.
The starting, then stopping sounds like a fuel issue.
If you have tried a fresh spark plug and fresh fuel I would then move onto cleaning the carb, then onto disconnecting fuel lines to be sure you are getting good flow.
For me cleaning the carb helped a lot.
There are many videos on how to do this.
But the persistent gremlin turned out to be a partially blocked fuel line.

Outboards are relatively simple engines. Worth getting your hands dirty and learning how the work in my view.

Good luck

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Thanks, Yamaha 6hp 2str of indeterminate vintage with external tank.

Yes, started with a completely empty can before fresh fuel. Kill cord and breather all ok. Waited 30 mins and tried again.

I am sure what you are saying about spark plugs and the carb makes perfect sense ? and thank you. Not sure if those are within my limited skills and tools given I am on my mooring and it's honking 30 knots.

So I am going to row ashore and give it to a pro. Am I being a wuss and should try fixing it myself?

Many thanks
Ask if you can sit in on the repair.

RJJ

Visit site
Unless your landing is downwind I'd be looking for a tow in 30 knots!

It would be best to get ashore safely to have a proper look there if you can.

Any other obvious reason it stopped, eg got swamped by a wave?
Thanks, yes it's 100m and downwind ?.

No, it was working great in November. I rinsed it with fresh and ran the carb dry, then it spent the winter in a locker before returning to the pushpit in early April.

Max Campbell

Visit site
If it ran for 15 seconds and stopped of it's own accord, and it's an external fuel tank, pump the in-line bulb some more, check fuel is arriving at the furthest point. When it stopped did it rev fast briefly before dying?

Mark-1

Visit site
I rebuilt my 2T outboard this winter. (Main bearings) It was a doddle and has given me total confidence. Personally, I think the OP should buy a 2T engine (perhaps a non runner) and take it apart to see how simple they really are. Any fear of maintaining/diagnosing outboards will evaporate.

WRT the existing engine the OP should stick a new plug in before letting a pro take a look, I can understand fear of cleaning a carb but undoing a spark plug is one "bolt" - no more complicated than taking the fuel cap on and off and it might work. Also try the internal tank.

Also, if the OP is in an appropriate area he should BUY A SEASTART SUBSCRIPTION. If the OP had sea start they would already have got it running while the OP sat and watched.

My 2p worth.

RJJ

Visit site
Give it to a person who knows what he’s doing, given your circumstances. I’ve happily stripped and rebuilt several outboards over the past few years but became frustrated by my current Yamaha 4hp 2 stroke: cleaned the carb and pump, replaced the plug all the usual tricks which failed to produce an engine which went when asked. Took it to the local outboard man who fettled it and gave it back working. Charged me £30 for the privilege and the engine has worked faultlessly since, including this last week when it started with old petrol on the third pull after 6 months doing nothing. No idea what he did, but it worked…
Well the job is done and the carb is cleaned; he also cleaned a rusty spark plug and gave it a once over. Should have learned how to do it myself as it was rather more than £30.... Thanks everyone for advice.