Outboard size/weight trade off.

SiteSurfer

Visit site
I'll start looking at used 2 strokes, this makes sense.
I don't need it to plane - but with best part of <redacted> kg on board + baggage I just want it to be not struggling.

To answer the other query, 3 people + bags, and we are not small people (at all) against the current in Fareham creek makes our 2.3 really struggle.

lw395

Visit site
I think the tide can go fairly quick up at Fareham.
At one point, I was using a 6HP on a GRP tender in the harbour, and a 2HP on a flubber as a cruising tender. That worked well until the 6 got stolen.
Somebody with all the time in the world will be along shortly, to remind us that proper planning ensures the tide is not badly against us.

dragonvc

Visit site
I bought one of the last uk 2strokes a saildrive unit in 2007 only one issue was a head gasket went causing poor starting.After fixing was v reliable used higher octane fuel.Weight was 19 kg and would propel 23 ft Minitonner at 5.5 knots flat water.Should be as good as standard prop on inflatable though would need short shaft for inflatable.A good outboard if just used in fresh water will be Best Buy.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
I have a Suzuki 2.5 which is very light and moves my 2.9 inflatable with v hull very well, it will plane with one person only. I also have a 3.5 Tohatsu which is slightly heavier but noticeably more powerful than the 2.5 suzuki and still able to move it by hand easily.
I also have a Tohatsu 6 hp, it will go on the plane with 3 people but its heavy to move around. I suggest that you go for a Tohatsu 3.5; all my outboards are four stroke for easy start. and better torque.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Would agree with opting for a 3.5 hp 2 or 4 stroke, 2 stroke for lightness; that inflatable, might suggest that if its a true inflatable, ie a soft undercarriage, then ones at a disadvantage against a rib with its solid bottom hull which will retain its design shape, probably a vee, even when fully or over loaded, hence less drag from the stern. Might suggest that a RIB is safer when its fully loaded, its much more like a 'proper boat' than a 'floppy bendy thing'

Laysula

www.stevehuntdrivinginstructor.co.uk
I have a 3.3 mercury two smoke. It's great. Light weight and plenty of power. I previously had a Merc 3.5 four stroke and I can only say that it was awfull. Heavy,awkward and vibrated a lot. Another advantage of a two smoke is that they have slightly larger jets which don't seem to clog up as easily as a four stroke.
It is also possible to buy new two smokes in the Channel Isles.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Somebody with all the time in the world will be along shortly, to remind us that proper planning ensures the tide is not badly against us.

I've lost count of the number of dinghies we've towed here over the years, overloaded dinghies with small engines unable to make progress against tide and wind. For me, planing is more about keeping dry, hell of a difference when you can skip over the chop rather than through it.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
I've lost count of the number of dinghies we've towed here over the years, overloaded dinghies with small engines unable to make progress against tide and wind. For me, planing is more about keeping dry, hell of a difference when you can skip over the chop rather than through it.

Might say /observe that a Rigid hull will perform better in waves or tide than a floppy one , so might be easier to propel through the water /current , hence I would say why a small o/b performs better on a 16 ft rigid hull sailing boat than a floppy 10ft inflatable ?

Graham376

Visit site
Might say /observe that a Rigid hull will perform better in waves or tide than a floppy one , so might be easier to propel through the water /current , hence I would say why a small o/b performs better on a 16 ft rigid hull sailing boat than a floppy 10ft inflatable ?

Rigid hull obviously better but it comes down to cost and weight. If I could find an aluminium floored one at reasonable price (<£1k for 2.9) then I would go for it when this is time expired. The ply floored one we have now is better than previous airdeck as it keeps the hull and keel much tighter but at 55kgs, heavier.

Disadvantage of rigid hull is water slopping around shopping whereas with ply or airdeck it drains underneath.

Last edited:

coveman

Visit site
I have a 3.3 mercury two smoke. It's great. Light weight and plenty of power. I previously had a Merc 3.5 four stroke and I can only say that it was awfull. Heavy,awkward and vibrated a lot. Another advantage of a two smoke is that they have slightly larger jets which don't seem to clog up as easily as a four stroke.
It is also possible to buy new two smokes in the Channel Isles.

I have a 2.5hp 2 stroke - very pleased with it - plenty of power - will even push along my mate's J24. The only disadvantage of it is it has no reverse gear whereas the 3.3hp does I think.
Both engines are extremely light (12.5kgs for the 2.5hp and 12.9kgs for the 3.3hp model). If mine were to pack up I wouldn't hesitate in trying to find a good 3.3hp model.

mattnj

www.red-data.co.uk
My 2.3 is 13KG and generic 5HP's seem to be around the 25-28Kg mark so double the weight.

My question (perhaps poorly phrased?) was in real life, how folks found whether the increase in 2HP was actually worth the weight increase, given that I'm so far from the sea/boat - trying something out isnt really an option, even when we bought the 2.3 from a dealer - there wasn't really an option to test first.

I have had a Suzuki 5hp 4 stroke, a Yam 4 stroke 4hp, a Tohatsu 3.5hp 4 stroke, all were poor in my opinion, I ended up going to a 2 stroke....

I would look for an older Evinrude 4hp 2 stroke (they are 2 cylinder so smooth/quiet/easy to start) and 18kg with built in tank, this was brilliant but ultimately I wanted to plane with 2up ....or a Tohatsu 9.8hp 2 Stroke, 26kg, and amazing, certainly better than a 5hp 4 stroke IMO, lighter and pushes you around effortlessly and quietly.

You are welcome to test my 9.8hp Tohatsu

Iain C

Visit site
I have (or had) a Suzuki 2.5hp 4T, a Yamaha 5hp 2T, and a Tohatsu 3.5hp 2T. One came with my new boat, one had to go with my old boat.

The best one by far is the Tohatsu. It weighs nothing, and the power difference from 2.5 to 3.5 is huge. Admittedly the 5 is good fun, my Avon R3.80 does 12kts fully planing with me in it, however the 3.5 is enough to get it pretty much on the plane and it's a load quicker than the 2.5. I no longer have the 2.5, that was the one I let go with my old boat. The Tohatsu is the perfect compromise...more power and won't leak oil or need servicing as much as the 2.5, way lighter than the 5 but only slightly less pokey.

SiteSurfer

Visit site
I made a couple of enquiries and it seems like you have to be a commercial operator to get the new 2T ob's. Shame that - but regulations are regulations. It's also not that I am bothered about an outboard having a few scuffs on it, rather that I want to be able to get my wife and daughter using it without them having to pull for england and get frustrated.

Not exactly passing the Channel Islands any time soon either :)

It seems like the options are narrowing, either a 2T 5HP (used) or a Torqueedo (for operator ease) or bite the bullet and go for a heavier 5HP 4T (reliability) and implement new handling methods for boat transitions.

Graham376

Visit site
I made a couple of enquiries and it seems like you have to be a commercial operator to get the new 2T ob's. Shame that - but regulations are regulations. It's also not that I am bothered about an outboard having a few scuffs on it, rather that I want to be able to get my wife and daughter using it without them having to pull for england and get frustrated.

It seems like the options are narrowing, either a 2T 5HP (used) or a Torqueedo (for operator ease) or bite the bullet and go for a heavier 5HP 4T (reliability) and implement new handling methods for boat transitions.

if weight is the criteria, many new engines share the same block. For instance, the Suzuki DF4, 5 & 6hp are all the same weight and other makes are similar. Personally though I would never buy another Suzuki.

Bouba

Visit site

I am a great advocate for the Torqueedo and would never go back to having petrol on board but I live in the tideless Med. Make sure you try before you buy, in the exact same hostile conditions fully loaded.
By the way, Highfield do a dry floor aluminium tender

Visit site
There is some talk here of the OP repropping his little honda. These small engines are not like their larger brethren. Usually there is only the OEM prop size and pitch available even from re-sellers, so how is it that OP would be able to reprop?

Last edited:

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Was in a similar situation as op.

Did all the searching etc..

Decided in the end to keep with the Honda 2.3 . I just
More journey's to the mother boat as required. I have a creek mooring such as yourself and could keep out of afoul tide . This also stopped the occasion journey too overloaded. I also like rowing even with one oarin the mud to avoid tide. His all n a 10 foot hard dinghy. I.m sure all here will help you with many alternatives . Best of luck.