Osculati Shroud Covers (Advice Required)

Sealong

Visit site
Hello
I bought some Osculati aluminium shroud covers and end caps a while ago.
Here is a reference to the items:
Shrouds cover 60 mm x 2 m

I have cut them to length and even made a jig to cut the correct angle with respect to the deck. But what defeats me is the purpose of the 6mm diameter, 55mm long aluminium pin that is included with each end cap ?

Does anyone have experience with fitting these things ?

Many thanks in advance
Chris

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
The description says... "the caps are fitted with a special pin that is also used to hold the shroud. "
Without knowing anything about it I'd guess that they are intended to prevent the cap coming off the shroud if it happens to pop out of the top of the cover?

pvb

Visit site
But what defeats me is the purpose of the 6mm diameter, 55mm long aluminium pin that is included with each end cap ?

If the covers didn't come with instructions, I'd imagine that the purpose of the pin is to hold the shroud in the centre of the cap. So, drill a hole (if there isn't one already) in the cap in such a position that inserting the pin will keep the shroud in the centre of the cap. Then slide the cap down into the cover tube, which should stop the pin from getting lost.

Gin

Visit site
Hello
I bought some Osculati aluminium shroud covers and end caps a while ago.
Here is a reference to the items:
Shrouds cover 60 mm x 2 m

I have cut them to length and even made a jig to cut the correct angle with respect to the deck. But what defeats me is the purpose of the 6mm diameter, 55mm long aluminium pin that is included with each end cap ?

Does anyone have experience with fitting these things ?

Many thanks in advance
Chris
I can’t picture how the pin is fitted but having had plastic shroud covers for the same reason as you and found that they sometimes rattle annoyingly. I reckon that the cap is meant to centre the shroud to avoid rattled which with an aluminium extrusion is likely to be louder than plastic

Neeves

Visit site
If I have this correct - its a fancy 2 part tube that rotates when sheets or sail rub and pass over the shrouds. Stops wear of sail and sheets and reduces friction so quicker, or easier, to tack.

Why not take appropriately sized electrical conduit, or maybe fresh water plastic pipe. Cut to an appropriate length. Slit once from end to end. Pull open (stick a screwdriver in the slit then twist screw driver) and force onto the shrouds. When the 'cover' has fully enclosed the shroud the pipe will 'spring' back and close the slit.

We have had conduit on previous yachts and have some soft plastic equivalent currently - but installed prior to the shrouds being swaged. Also useful on inner forestays. Our covers are full shroud length (or height) which might suggest a focus on reducing sail wear.

Sorry OP I have not answered your question and may have the wrong idea - completely.

Jonathan

Stork_III

Visit site
As the two halves dovetail and slide together, isn't the pin to connect the halves together to stop sliding apart? the top cap and bottom shaping round the chain plate stops rattle in service.