Origins of sailing terms

G

Two things have been bothering me, and I am sure someone here will know the answers:

What is the origin the word Windlass?

and Why do you 'weigh' anchor?

Answers ona postcard please!!

Will

mickshep

Visit site
Windlass is without a shadow of doubt a sailing term which origenated in Yorkshire.
On a calm Summers evening in any of your favorite anchorages the term, "wind it up lass" could be heard as the skipper instructed his spouse to raise the anchor, the sails, etc whilst he sipped a cooled G&T in the cockpit. This was shortened to "Wind lass!" in a much louder voice if she appeared to be flagging. (Grin!)

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
The wind in windlass is not wind as in breeze, but wind as in turn the handle. Winding handles were once known as windles, according to my Concise Oxford.

Weigh the anchor - when the full weight of theanchor is hanging up and down, with none of the weight being taken on the seabed.

jamesjermain

Visit site
Windlass = old Norse vinda, to wind + ass, a spindle or pole Weigh as it take the weight of - the point at which an anchor ceases to be 'up and down' and in contact with the sea bed and when it is clear and the ship is officially underway or, traditionally, under weigh

JJ