Orca attack

Adios

Visit site
Did you read the link because none of what you say is suggested in it.
The first thing I said was in it the article "attacks started in 2020" but nothing else was in the article which is why I felt like saying it.

That's me, not willing to be 100% spoon fed by the media or even 100% cowed by "experts". Daring to have my own ideas. So far one thing the experts and media have suggested is the orcas are motivated by revenge, for a boat damaging one of them or for eco damage, which seems more far fetched than my idea that they are after food.

We need to think like an Orca. Its all food or sex for them. Or at least they are 2 things we can be sure motivate them. I suppose they could be blinded by microplastics and rudder nibbling could be just foreplay to a misdirected sexual advance on a shapely hull. I think food is more likely. "Hello I'm here! Come on where's my free dinner!!"

Its not like its unknown that they go for free food from fishing boats, Enormous orca pod surrounds trawler at night for free meal in creepy video its just the usually large metal trawlers aren't complaining of damage because they are large and metal. They even say its why the orcas are there! "So it looks like the killer whales are feeding on fish escaping and discarded during the hauling process on the boat,"

Come on when will the "experts" put 2 and 2 together on this?? 1.7m tonnes of discarded fish a year over the last decade has trained them to associate boats with free food, the young ones might rely on it having grown up with it as a constant part of their diet, and they are nudging boats in search of a feed.

Just found this A fishing trawler stole an orca’s breakfast, so it waited to be fed Typically anthropomorphising on motive, "orca associates fishing boats with easy meal" would be enough.

And this "I suppose they hoped to catch fish that fell from the nets." she says

Orcas and a Fishing Boat – 7/12/19 "the orcas had a feast around the boat."

More specific to the interacting orcas theres this https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0065288116300050?via=ihub "In summer, the whales were observed in the shallow central waters of the Strait. A relatively new feeding strategy has been observed among two of the five pods. These two pods interact with an artisanal drop-line fishery." What is an artisanal fishery? Artisanal Fisheries: Meaning, Characteristics & Dangers - Ocean Scientists

Small boats!

These orcas particularly are used to getting easy meals from small boats!

1688509864749.png

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Since I posted my own theory last week that Orca were puzzled how a silent vessel (sea-creature) could move through the water, i have become more convinced that this has a good foundation given the facts of their actions. After I re-read some earlier posts where rudders were nudged, bumped, then wiggled side to side it has convinced me that nudging the rudders, then swinging them side to side is an action trying to duplicate how these appendages could work to propel a boat through the water. They focus on rudders only. Not bilge keels etc.

It is understandable that such a heavy creature forcing rudder movement against the down gearing from the wrong end would result in damage. The expets should try sculling the boat with he rudders and watch their reaction. It can be done. Probably an underwater Ahhh and a sigh of understanding as they swim off.

Kola

Visit site
The first thing I said was in it the article "attacks started in 2020" but nothing else was in the article which is why I felt like saying it.

That's me, not willing to be 100% spoon fed by the media or even 100% cowed by "experts". Daring to have my own ideas. So far one thing the experts and media have suggested is the orcas are motivated by revenge, for a boat damaging one of them or for eco damage, which seems more far fetched than my idea that they are after food.

We need to think like an Orca. Its all food or sex for them. Or at least they are 2 things we can be sure motivate them. I suppose they could be blinded by microplastics and rudder nibbling could be just foreplay to a misdirected sexual advance on a shapely hull. I think food is more likely. "Hello I'm here! Come on where's my free dinner!!"

Its not like its unknown that they go for free food from fishing boats, Enormous orca pod surrounds trawler at night for free meal in creepy video its just the usually large metal trawlers aren't complaining of damage because they are large and metal. They even say its why the orcas are there! "So it looks like the killer whales are feeding on fish escaping and discarded during the hauling process on the boat,"

Come on when will the "experts" put 2 and 2 together on this?? 1.7m tonnes of discarded fish a year over the last decade has trained them to associate boats with free food, the young ones might rely on it having grown up with it as a constant part of their diet, and they are nudging boats in search of a feed.

Just found this A fishing trawler stole an orca’s breakfast, so it waited to be fed Typically anthropomorphising on motive, "orca associates fishing boats with easy meal" would be enough.

And this "I suppose they hoped to catch fish that fell from the nets." she says

Orcas and a Fishing Boat – 7/12/19 "the orcas had a feast around the boat."

More specific to the interacting orcas theres this https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0065288116300050?via=ihub "In summer, the whales were observed in the shallow central waters of the Strait. A relatively new feeding strategy has been observed among two of the five pods. These two pods interact with an artisanal drop-line fishery." What is an artisanal fishery? Artisanal Fisheries: Meaning, Characteristics & Dangers - Ocean Scientists

Small boats!

These orcas particularly are used to getting easy meals from small boats!

View attachment 159387
Better than a lot of theory's that's going around!

Attachments

• Tromsø,Kvalsund,North Norway.Herring-Oct-Feb (1).JPG
    Tromsø,Kvalsund,North Norway.Herring-Oct-Feb (1).JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Tromsø,Kvalsund,North Norway.Herring-Oct-Feb (2).JPG
    Tromsø,Kvalsund,North Norway.Herring-Oct-Feb (2).JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Tromsø,Kvalsund,North Norway.Herring-Oct-Feb (3).JPG
    Tromsø,Kvalsund,North Norway.Herring-Oct-Feb (3).JPG
    365.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Tromsø,Kvalsund,North Norway.Herring-Oct-Feb (4).JPG
    Tromsø,Kvalsund,North Norway.Herring-Oct-Feb (4).JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 11

Adios

Visit site
Since I posted my own theory last week that Orca were puzzled how a silent vessel (sea-creature) could move through the water, i have become more convinced that this has a good foundation given the facts of their actions. After I re-read some earlier posts where rudders were nudged, bumped, then wiggled side to side it has convinced me that nudging the rudders, then swinging them side to side is an action trying to duplicate how these appendages could work to propel a boat through the water. They focus on rudders only. Not bilge keels etc.

It is understandable that such a heavy creature forcing rudder movement against the down gearing from the wrong end would result in damage. The expets should try sculling the boat with he rudders and watch their reaction. It can be done. Probably an underwater Ahhh and a sigh of understanding as they swim off.
You assume they know the noise of an engine is the reason for the boats movement. They should have seen plenty of sailing boats before as well. My feeding from discarded and caught fish theory seems backed up by them only being interested in the stern of boats though.

Greemble

www.lowestoftcruisingclub.co.uk
You assume they know the noise of an engine is the reason for the boats movement. They should have seen plenty of sailing boats before as well. My feeding from discarded and caught fish theory seems backed up by them only being interested in the stern of boats though.
It's a good hypothesis, but has one flaw.

If it's true the Orcas are mainly (or only) going after vessels under sail, then it can't be that they're after fishing boats that have been discarding fish - they'd be chasing motor boats.
The small boats you allude to had tuna caught; the orca didn't nudge the boats for the fish, they just ate it from the line. These boats would be motorised, too.

*Edit: Grammar

Adios

Visit site
It's a good hypothesis, but has one flaw.

If it's true the Orcas are mainly (or only) going after vessels under sail, then it can't be that they're after fishing boats that have been discarding fish - they'd be chasing motor boats.
The small boats you allude to had tuna caught; the orca didn't nudge the boats for the fish, they just ate it from the line. These boats would be motorised, too.

*Edit: Grammar
It doesn't seem to be true that they only go for boats without engines running. In fact the advice currently is to turn off your engine so clearly they are going after boats with engine running.

They nudged a Moroccan motor fishing boat until it sank some time before but most fishing boats are not as vulnerable to them. The narrow weak fiberglass rudders so easily chewed in yachts are not there on fishing boats so that could be why we're not hearing reports of them interacting with those boats. And with larger engines and propellers than most yachts its maybe not so tempting to bite fishing boats.

End of the day no one can be sure what they are thinking but they will act up in the hope of getting fish hence their history in the entertainment business.

I'd say a bigger flaw in the food theory is its unlikely their behaviour has ever directly resulting in fish being thrown for them so why don't they learn there is no fish to be had from yachts. Is it frustration that there is no fish from these boats? They tend to hang around for a bit, bump the boat, have a nibble them bugger off when no fish/bored.

Ammonite

Visit site
It doesn't seem to be true that they only go for boats without engines running. In fact the advice currently is to turn off your engine so clearly they are going after boats with engine running.

They nudged a Moroccan motor fishing boat until it sank some time before but most fishing boats are not as vulnerable to them. The narrow weak fiberglass rudders so easily chewed in yachts are not there on fishing boats so that could be why we're not hearing reports of them interacting with those boats. And with larger engines and propellers than most yachts its maybe not so tempting to bite fishing boats.

End of the day no one can be sure what they are thinking but they will act up in the hope of getting fish hence their history in the entertainment business.

I'd say a bigger flaw in the food theory is its unlikely their behaviour has ever directly resulting in fish being thrown for them so why don't they learn there is no fish to be had from yachts. Is it frustration that there is no fish from these boats? They tend to hang around for a bit, bump the boat, have a nibble them bugger off when no fish/bored.
That's not the current advice on Orcas.pt which is...
Dont stop if orcas attack you, full power, in direction of shallow waters.
Sail Following 20 m depth line or close to the coast as possible

Greemble

www.lowestoftcruisingclub.co.uk

As said, if the advice is to turn off your engine, that sounds to me for the protection of the orca.
I had also thought that they may be after sailing yachts, because the motor boats have propellers, which they've found to hurt...

However, if they are after both types, that's my idea out...

Perhaps it's fewer chances of finding their usual food stuffs, maybe they're investigating boats just to see if they're edible. It might just take a while before they finally realise these things aren't so tasty, but they are still fairly whale-shaped.

As you say, we may never know - but it's a good subject for lots of speculation!

Greybeardy

Visit site
I recall reading a remarkable account (Survive The Savage Sea) of the Robertson family surviving weeks at sea after an Orca sank their wooden yacht . This happened decades ago, so there is possibly some history of the type of anti-boat behaviour that we are currently worried about.
The current zone of risk from Orcas molesting yachts is mainly the sea off the Iberian Peninsula. I wonder whether boats intending to traverse this relatively limited area could deploy a temporary, and passive, physical deterrent? This could be achieved by enmeshing the rudder in a demountable wrapping, or sleeve, of barbed or razor wire? This, of course, would not enhance performance but might be a small sacrifice worth making? Alternatively a spiked collar similar to those put on guard dogs protecting flocks against wolves might deter. Perhaps an enterprising chandlery manufacturer could develop an infinitely adjustable device of this nature to fit any shape of rudder. I need to get out more!

Rappey

Visit site
could deploy a temporary, and passive, physical deterrent?
Under spanish law it is forbidden to do anything that may harm them, including starting an engine if they are within 60 metres .. you need another plan ;)

In alaska some orca will wait for a trawler then follow it . Once it starts hauling its nets lots of orca suddenly appear and they rob the trawler of its catch. Its put a fair few fishermen out of business.
Larger whales steal all the fish off long lines.
I wouldnt have thought they would bother following a trawler for scraps ?

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I recall reading a remarkable account (Survive The Savage Sea) of the Robertson family surviving weeks at sea after an Orca sank their wooden yacht . This happened decades ago, so there is possibly some history of the type of anti-boat behaviour that we are currently worried about.
The current zone of risk from Orcas molesting yachts is mainly the sea off the Iberian Peninsula. I wonder whether boats intending to traverse this relatively limited area could deploy a temporary, and passive, physical deterrent? This could be achieved by enmeshing the rudder in a demountable wrapping, or sleeve, of barbed or razor wire? This, of course, would not enhance performance but might be a small sacrifice worth making? Alternatively a spiked collar similar to those put on guard dogs protecting flocks against wolves might deter. Perhaps an enterprising chandlery manufacturer could develop an infinitely adjustable device of this nature to fit any shape of rudder. I need to get out more!

I would simply replace my GRP rudder with one made of steel as mine is for the Orca's to chomp on.

penfold

Visit site
Hardly simple Rog, even with a transom hung rudder it's non-trivial. You might as well advocate for people to remove their rudders for the duration and use steering oars.