Options for masthead unit replacement

GlennG

Visit site
I've a full set of B&G Network instruments which work well. I've noticed the masthead wind sensor unit is a bit stiff, not working particularly well in light airs. Not that this is much of a problem as I'm mostly interested in the wind and direction when it's 12kts+ (spinnaker) and 20kts+ (reefing).

283_mhu1.jpg
496_mhu1.jpg

(Images from http://www.bandg-service.com/WIND_sensors.html)

The unit is a Brookes and Gatehouse 283 type. This has been superseded with the 496 type.

The issue is I've been quoted over £400 for the MHU replacement. I'm quite miffed at this given that I could get a complete MHU *and* display unit from all the other manufacturers including TacTic for under this price.

Questions:-
1) I've been unable to remove the cups from the unit. Is this possible? Does anyone know if it's possible to get a service kit for this? Any suggestions for servicing it?

2) I'm really reluctant to spend any money on an obsolete piece of kit, so am thinking about getting another unit - Raymarine/TacTic and interfacing it to the existing kit which is NMEA compatible. I could even mount the display unit down below. Anyone any suggestions/thoughts on this? I know the TacTic requires the purchase of a circa £230 black box to convert wireless to NMEA, but the benefit of wireless is compelling.

3) Any other options? Is there a NMEA compatible MHU? Does a Raymarine unit work with B&G?

GlennG

Visit site
I should have added the forth option: just buy the replacement 496 unit from B&G. Anyone any opinions as to whether it's worth it or not? Is it particularly good relative to all the cheaper alternatives?

adl

Visit site
Considering you have probably the best system on the market when you bought it then I would go with the forth option, if you can just remove the mast head unit and swap straight across then do so.

Look what make all the Volvo 70's use!

What boat is it?

lw395

Visit site
You should get your MHU serviced by Tinley Electronics (I think its them, firm in Lymington anyway?), they should be able to sort it.
Worth a phone call!

GlennG

Visit site
That's a jolly good idea. I'll call them now.

She's a Contessa 32 with a full set of 7 instruments across the coach hood in a custom full-width binnacle. The instruments work well with the exception of the MHU, so I'm not exactly keen on changing everything.

Pete7

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
She's a Contessa 32 with a full set of 7 instruments across the coach hood in a custom full-width binnacle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seven /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif no wonder you don't want to replace them all. Our Stowe wind recently started to fail and they have similar replacement costs so bit the bullet and replaced 4 Stowe with 3 Raymarine ST60s, depth, wind and speed. Which reminds me, I have some mast climbing to do this weekend to fit the MHU /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Pete

Blue_Pearl

Visit site
I've got 7 B&G units as well (including the 20/20s) - also the MHU is not working ............... perhaps that's the problem !
Anyway, I've just called Tinley and they said send in the unit and they'll have a look - mine isn't working at all /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I love the B&G gear even though it's all obsolete now - still gives me plently to fiddle with ............. and one day I might need it if I ever decide to try my hand at racing /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
All I've gotta do now is find someone to go up the mast ........... not me, tried that the other week, got as far as the first speader and decided it didn't like it

GlennG

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Does this B&G stuff still have the big grey boxes down below?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. The only grey boxes are, get this, the two pendulum switches for selecting the port or starboard speed and depth transducers (two of each). All the rest of the kit is run from the display heads.

Problem is it's hell's own job to get behind the display heads and will probably require the binnacle to be lifted. Oh for the simplicity of the TacTic instruments:)

GlennG

Visit site
Got through to Tinley (01590 610071). Very friendly. Will be happy to service it.

Now to find an awkward shaped box:)