Opinions on the following boats...

Dyflin

Visit site
We have, to an extent, narrowed down our search for a new boat and have come up with some possibles. It's a buyers market at the moment and this means our boat remains unsold, but when it does finally go, I want to be in a position to move quickly when a likely candidate comes up.

Boat must be suitable for up to three adults for two week cruising, good day sailing capabilities, but will not be raced and suitable for a 6'3" skipper (said skipper currently enjoys the 5'9" headroom on present boat!). Price up to £10,000 (absolute max) and no older than 1974

The short list so far is:
Seamaster 815
Seawolf 26 (MK2)
Sadler 25 (very expensive for what you get...)
Cobra 750 (rare fin version)
Dockrell 27 (bargained down a bit)
Sabre 27

Any comments would be much appreciated.

johnalison

Visit site
I was once told, on buying a boat my companion didn't approve of (Mystere = Fred Parker), that one should always buy a boat from a top designer above all other considerations. I think there was a lot of truth in that, and this probably means the Seamaster 815 is the best of your selection. They look well, though the lighter Sabre has given good service if a bit less exciting.

Piddy

Visit site
The Cobra and from recollection the Seawolf are not as fast as the Seamaster (for instance). I also think the Seamaster is the nicest looking boat of those suggested.

Just my thoughts

Andy

rob2

Visit site
Yes, but the Sadler 25 is such a good and quick boat! In that respect it stands out from the others. When you see one out on the water, there's always an uncomfortable felling it'll be overhauling you shortly.

Obviously I'm biased, but there is a Varne 27, Lurcher, for sale for around that sum at Woodrolfe Boatyard, The Yacht Harbour, Tollesbury, Maldon, Essex, CM9 8SE, United Kingdom
01621 868494.

Rob.

Gin

Visit site
Sadler 25 too small for three adults/two weeks and headroom much the same,perhaps slightly less, than you currently enjoy

savageseadog

Visit site
The Cobras and Seawolfs are David Feltham design. The Seawolf is generally considered one of the better bilge keel boats. Both boats are very solidly built, popular and as far as I know there has been no osmosis on any of them.

Mudhook

Visit site
I've been very happy with a Sabre for the last five years. Good looking in an olde-worlde way, plenty of room, not a spectacular sailer (fin version probably goes better), very seaworthy in a blow, very solidly built with top quality fittings, well designed inside and out, pretty good headroom (I'm 6ft), good close quarters handling (turns on a sixpence and will go backwards under control every time), useful owners club, 400-odd built. A lot of boat for the money. Recommended!

Regards, Mudhook

tobble

Visit site
I'd second mudhook's comments, although I'm botherd if I can get mine to go backwards sensibly... still the ability to turn within it's length gets you (me) out of that one! As with most plastic boats of that era they are pretty heavily laid up and concequently very tough.

I'm not really familiar with the others you listed, but the Sabre would certainly fit your criteria. might not get a particularly smart one for under £10k but that's probably my own wishful thinking!

Dyflin

Visit site
Pegasus fall down on two counts, firstly it's generally the other side of 10K and the other is no separate heads (bit silly on a boat of that size), SWMBO's number 1 complaint /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Johnjo

Visit site
Sabre 27 gets my vote....

Lot of room for a 27 footer with full headroom, course i might be a bit biased seeing i got a fin keel Sabre.

Dyflin

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Current Sailing today has a group test feature on various boats of this size.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a bunch, now you've added to my list /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tomahawk 25 gets a very good write up.

Dyflin

Visit site
Um, it's on the list already? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Difficult to get one in my price range and interestingly they got a poor write up in ST some time ago. But nonetheless, I like the idea of a cutter rig and the long keel mixed with a "modern" boat.

No Regrets

Visit site
Don't you have Birchwood 25's in Dublin?

I looked at a Seamaster, thought it nice enough, but the Birchwood was nicer. More modern too!

There are a few at Thames boat sales, but it's a long way home /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dyflin

Visit site
Sadly I feel the Birchwood 25 is missing something, just can't put my finger on what it might be?...

Jims-birchwood-25-members-p.gif