Opinions on outboard choice?

domlee

Visit site
I have a Hardy Regatta fitted with a 50hp Johnson 2 Stroke long shaft, power tilt and trim etc - the engine is in excellent condition but am considering changing it for a 4 stroke due to fuel consumption, noise and the fact it is not very 'green'. I am drawn to the Suzuki 40 hp, initially on price but also due to the fact it had direct fuel injection leading to further economy and fuel efficiency and lower harmful emissions. Does anyone have any opinions on this choice of outboard or opinions on alternatives.

<hr width=100% size=1>

supermalc

Visit site
Nowadays, engines are often rebadged from other makes. This is true for most products. For instance different makes of cars will use the same basic engine ..... so one type of Ford will have a Skoda, another a VW etc.

I would assume the same would be for outboards. I know some Mercury/Mariner are Yamaha.

Just worth checking. If you are going from 2 to 4 stroke (very good move) I would think the extra weight would be the main consideration.

Just a few thoughts.

<hr width=100% size=1>Malcolm.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/malcsworld/>http://www.angelfire.com/malcsworld/</A>
Take a look at my boating pages.

whisper

Visit site
I think that the Evinrude 4strokes from 40-90hp are in fact Suzukis. Colleague had a Suzuki 70 which was superb - seemed smoother & quieter than equivalent Honda especially at high revs. It never faltered in use.
So, yes I think the engine you propose will be fine. Suggest you also look at Yamaha which may perhaps be lighter. See if you can see & hear some of these running on other people's boats.

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by whisper on 07/02/2004 12:21 (server time).</FONT></P>