Opinions about the Imray Navigator App?

Amulet

www.flickr.com
Interested to hear views on this. My Greek Waters pilot gives me free access to Imray Charts for the area. Is it worth getting the app and those charts?

I currently have the Navionics including this area.

I also use Marine Navigator.

I use Seaclear on the Laptop.

I'd be happy with Navionics, but, unless I've misunderstood, the app is insultingly uncooperative with other software. There seems to be no way of extracting data (say routes) in s form that allows anyone else's tools to use them. This is an outrage - it would be trivially easy for them to allow GPX export. It puts them in the same category a Microsoft in terms of helpfulness.

Channel Sailor

Visit site
For the English Channel I use the Imray app and the tidal add in quite a lot. I rather like it. On an iPad Pro. It has been slightly changed over the years to improve its usability. Though a major update version released a couple years ago included a feature that automatically switches between available charts as you zoom in and out, which makes it a little like Navionics for those who like that kind of thing.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
For the English Channel I use the Imray app and the tidal add in quite a lot. I rather like it. On an iPad Pro. It has been slightly changed over the years to improve its usability. Though a major update version released a couple years ago included a feature that automatically switches between available charts as you zoom in and out, which makes it a little like Navionics for those who like that kind of thing.

Yep, I like it too although I preferred the previous version and have had a couple of crashes(iPad not boat) using the new version.

wayfarer8088

Visit site
Unfortunately both Marine Navigator and Imray Navigator seem to depend on the tablet's built-in GPS, which my Pixel C sadly lacks. Only OpenCPN seems to accept GPS data via a wireless NMEA link. I'd be happy to be corrected!

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Happy to correct you. This must be tablet dependent as on my WiFi only iPad I can get position from NMEA over WiFi or from my phone or garmin explorer over Bluetooth. Imray nav.

Last edited: