Opencpn for Android production release

awol

Visit site
Whoopee! I've done all that and my HUDL now sports OpenCPN and charts. However, I seem to have screwed it up somehow - the top left menu bar which was normal size has now shrunk to a size impossible to hit with my finger and the depth readings are only legible while actually zooming, after that they shrink to minuscule. I've tried to find a text size control that affects the soundings but no luck so far - any ideas?

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
I'm having trouble copying the charts to the tablet and the phone.

My desktop winsoze PC when connected to the device does not properly see the folders on the android so I can't copy from there.

I tried on the other laptop we have that runs ubuntu.

That correctly sees the files on the android but it won't copy.

It can copy the directory structure but failed copying any of the files with the .A extension etc saying "operation not supported"

I can copy them to a memory stick but the only USB cables we have that plug into the android devices present a male USB connector at the other end which will plug into the pc, but not into the memory stick, it's the wrong gender of connector.

ProDave

Visit site
To anyone else struggling to transfer files.

I downloaded (on the android) "File Manager HD(File Transfer) cheetah Mobile" from the play store

It was the first file manage I found (after trying about 3 others) that could browse the network via wi fi, and find the shared folder on my PC, from where it was able to copy my chart files.

awol

Visit site
Whoopee! I've done all that and my HUDL now sports OpenCPN and charts. However, I seem to have screwed it up somehow - the top left menu bar which was normal size has now shrunk to a size impossible to hit with my finger and the depth readings are only legible while actually zooming, after that they shrink to minuscule. I've tried to find a text size control that affects the soundings but no luck so far - any ideas?

Doh! Found the check box to sort it.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
I am having a problem identifying a source to download UK charts for opencpn. Do I need to purchase them on a memory stick from visitmyharbour or navionics or other source, your suggestion would be appreciated.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com

I had the Beta version but it didn't work very well so was trying to keep an eye open for a later version. WiFi was poor when I spotted this and couldn't manage to keep a signal long enough to download. I could get away with some browsing but downloads were dropping out.

I tried the link here but file downloaded as "0BzDnQ7vAi68eYk04SVVwSTVtTzA". File size is 37.9 MB (39,776,724 bytes).

I assume that the filename has been messed up (or link wasn't to correct file). Anyone else have this problem with the download?

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I had the Beta version but it didn't work very well so was trying to keep an eye open for a later version. WiFi was poor when I spotted this and couldn't manage to keep a signal long enough to download. I could get away with some browsing but downloads were dropping out.

I tried the link here but file downloaded as "0BzDnQ7vAi68eYk04SVVwSTVtTzA". File size is 37.9 MB (39,776,724 bytes).

I assume that the filename has been messed up (or link wasn't to correct file). Anyone else have this problem with the download?

37.9MB is the right file size. Rename it to something.apk and try and install it.

Richard

ProDave

Visit site
What's the oldest version of Android that this will work on?

I have another old redundant phone, a Samsung GT-I9000

When I try and run the install, it says "Parse error. there is a problem parsing the package"

I assume that's a cryptic way of telling me the phones old version 2.6.29 of Android is too old?

It does look like it can be upgraded but it doesn't look an easy procedure.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
37.9MB is the right file size. Rename it to something.apk and try and install it.

Richard

Thanks, I actually did that a little later that night and named the file "opencpn_4.1.915.apk" based on the drop box link ex. Cruiser Forum (it contained "...bdnxw87j38bkb/opencpn_4.1.915.apk?dl=0"). Install was fine but it has so far refused to display my CM93 charts despite pointing it to the correct chart directory. I'll have look at that problem when I have some spare time.

ProDave

Visit site
Thanks, I actually did that a little later that night and named the file "opencpn_4.1.915.apk" based on the drop box link ex. Cruiser Forum (it contained "...bdnxw87j38bkb/opencpn_4.1.915.apk?dl=0"). Install was fine but it has so far refused to display my CM93 charts despite pointing it to the correct chart directory. I'll have look at that problem when I have some spare time.

When you point it to your charts folder, don't forget to tick the box "force database rebuild" (might not be the exact wording but something like that)

When I was playing about to see what folders you actually need just for UK charts, I had to do that when I removed or reinstated chart folders.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
When you point it to your charts folder, don't forget to tick the box "force database rebuild" (might not be the exact wording but something like that)

When I was playing about to see what folders you actually need just for UK charts, I had to do that when I removed or reinstated chart folders.

First thing I tried. I took a long time to do anything so I uninstalled , left only charts for W. Med. and re-installed. Forced rebuild and tried again but still nothing. I'm going to recheck that I left correct charts when I have a moment. I left folder 03901020 and will double check the area it covers.

Boreades

Visit site

sailorman

Visit site

i have the same issue with the cm 93. the Dutch & belgian free enc work well but not really suitable on a galaxy S5 as the screen is too small & not suitable for offshore nav. £7 is too much free was ok for what it is

Pye_End

Visit site
I made a new directory on the root of the tablet, and copied 2 directories from a laptop which contain the charts into it. Open CPN is directed to the single new directory, which contains the other directories, and this works fine on my Nexus 7.