Open CPN / navionics

bluerm166

Visit site
In addition to the free US charts for use in Open CPN don't forget the useful official Dutch inland waterways charts which are updated every spring ,with the free download referenced in the OpenCPN manual.

PS Can any nation deploy more buoys than the Dutch ?

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Another fan of open cpn and o charts and antares for uk charts are up to date and I have used it extensively around Scottish waters for 3 years
I use a laptop connected to a 24 inch screen down below and a tablet mounted to pedestal
Download for free at open cpn for windows and 7.99 for android . Charts from o charts download the add on for o charts in open cpn then follow link
Charts can be used for two devices. And on android it can be on tablet and phone
This required 2 x chart downloads 2 for android 2 for windows this allows a spare copy one on window one on tablet on on phone giving much redundancy
This cost in total 47 pounds including the 7 99 the charts are fantastic and easy to use and open n has many add ons that will keep the inner geek happy for a lifetime

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Oh forgot to add I use nomad digital yatch ais that connects seamlessly to open cpn and sets up a wireless connection that also can be picked up by my tablet and phone
It also supports Garmin radar and the more modern navionics radars using a standard ethernet cable this allows you to pick and choose different brands rather than being forced to use one manufacturer
There is always the argument about allin one systems or individual separate systems
For me it is better to have independent systems as if my dedicated chart plotter went down everything is gone .just my thoughts on it
A decent laptop with graphics is needed for the radar

Tintin

Visit site
Oh forgot to add I use nomad digital yatch ais that connects seamlessly to open cpn and sets up a wireless connection that also can be picked up by my tablet and phone
It also supports Garmin radar and the more modern navionics radars using a standard ethernet cable this allows you to pick and choose different brands rather than being forced to use one manufacturer
There is always the argument about allin one systems or individual separate systems
For me it is better to have independent systems as if my dedicated chart plotter went down everything is gone .just my thoughts on it
A decent laptop with graphics is needed for the radar

What Garmin radar is it that you refer to pls?

Birdseye

Visit site
I use o-charts which are compiled specially for OpenCPN. They are very cheap, about £25 for almost all the UK. There's a downloader in OpenCPN now. It's very easy. AIS for me comes via Bluetooth.
care to point me towards the O charts for the UK. The Open PCN link to the spanish source is confusing and the web site far from straightforward

Tintin

Visit site
Start off simple. Get a GPS mouse. They are £5 if you get one from China but have to wait 3 weeks, or £15 for the same thing from a UK seller that you will have in 2 days. Even if you don't use it in your final setup it's still useful to have. Report back when you've got it.

Right ho, I've sprung for a Vesper 8000 ais transponder as the new boat needs ais, and the wifi functionality appeals. It'll be here in a few days from Cactus (with a free aerial splitter- hurrah).

OpenCPN is downloaded onto my Surface.

I guess next stage is O charts?

Tintin

Visit site
On android, can anyone help with which app it is, the Dave Register one, or the Maison Automatique one?

GHA

Visit site
Raster or vector? Whats the opinion ?

What age are you? ;)

'Elderly', with less of your life spent on computers & technology then imho more likely that raster will be your choice; a bit less than elderly completely at home with tech & google maps etc then more likely vector. Guessing of course. :)
Personally vector, far more useful imho. Though raster satellite images & navionics/cmap can be gold dust, especially sat images. They can be sort of raster with different images shown at different zoom levels on opencpn.

Dave register is the real opencpn on android.

Tintin

Visit site
Another question of those in the know- with O charts, it looks like I have to buy the dongle first, if I want to use that method, before buying charts with the dongle installed.

And also, how does the dongle work with an android tablet with no normal dongle sized USB?

Thanks again

FlyingGoose

Visit site
You do not need a dongle it can be downla9xed by opening an account with O charts and they keep 2 copies in your account, you then down load to your specific tablet, phone ,computer, hard drive, the dongle will only be useful with computers or tablets with a USB port

GHA

Visit site
Another question of those in the know- with O charts, it looks like I have to buy the dongle first, if I want to use that method, before buying charts with the dongle installed.

And also, how does the dongle work with an android tablet with no normal dongle sized USB?

Thanks again
Dongle usually makes life much easier as you can have the charts on any laptop you want and if you change the boat computer just swap the dongle. You don't need one but they don't cost much. With each chart you get 2 'lives' which can get married to a particular machine, so one with the tablet, one with the dongle. A chart purchase gets you a years updates then the charts still work, you just don't get the next updates. The dongle is tiny so no great hardship having it plugged in all the time, just don't lose it :)

Tintin

Visit site
Dongle usually makes life much easier as you can have the charts on any laptop you want and if you change the boat computer just swap the dongle. You don't need one but they don't cost much. With each chart you get 2 'lives' which can get married to a particular machine, so one with the tablet, one with the dongle. A chart purchase gets you a years updates then the charts still work, you just don't get the next updates. The dongle is tiny so no great hardship having it plugged in all the time, just don't lose it :)

Got it, the dongle acts as a device. I knew I was missing something

adwuk

Visit site
Worth noting that if you buy the chart updates (I do every other year) then you get to assign the new charts to two new devices. For me, that means one each for the current laptop and phone. As a result, I don't bother with the dongle.