Open CPN GRIB plugin problem

Mavis

Visit site
Hi, hope you can help.

I cannot obtain an emailed GRIB data file as I keep getting the same error message which says that "File access is denied. You do not have permission required to access the file C;\ users\my name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook|my email address.ost

I have tried to share this file and alter the permissions but its not changing any thing - Any ideas please?

RobbieW

Visit site
Has this worked before ? If not, I'd suggest you save a copy of the file you want to view (dont know what the syntax/commands for that are using Outlook) to a directory you have r/w access to then try to load that with the GRIB viewer plugin in OCPN.

Mavis

Visit site
Doesn't the GRIB arrive as an e-mail attachment?
If so, you need to save the attachment to your grib file folder to open it.

No I cant even get to that stage. The computer seems to be denying the GRIB plugin access to the necessary Outlook file to send off the request?.

RobbieW

Visit site
No I cant even get to that stage. The computer seems to be denying the GRIB plugin access to the necessary Outlook file to send off the request?.

Ok, do you have Outlook installed and configured with an email account ? I use Thunderbird rather than Outlook, that allows mail to be sent from the plugin though I dont remember ever having to set it up to allow that.

An alternate is to use zyGrib to select and download the GRIB file or to do a bit of research into Saildocs so that you can format an email to its GRIB service. There are other methods too

Last edited:

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Ah! So it's the start of the process that's the issue.
I get my gribs by e-mailing Saildocs <query@saildocs.com> with the
message: send gfs:30N,65N,40W,20E|1,1|0,3,...,48|PMRMSL,WIND,PRESS,APCP
Then save the reply attachment grib.

Mavis

Visit site

GRIB Weather

OpenCPN has a built in lightweight grib weather file viewer, with a limited set of features, aimed at being useful while under way. It is not possible to download grib files from within OpenCPN.

Sorry, that is wrong. This is from the actual program itself = " Provides basic BRIB file overlay capabilities for several GRIB file types and a request function to get GRIB files by email" I am now at work and have just downloaded OpenCPN and enabled the GRIB plugin. It works fine on this machine and overlays the wind arrows over the area as requested. A great function. But its a pity as my home computer, and the tablet on board both suggest I have permission problems with Outlook. I just need to find out how to overcome this.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Just looked at it on Ocpn 4.4.0 but can't find anywhere to setup e-mail credentials.
When I go to 'start and send an e-mail request', on send I get:
Request can't be sent. Please verify your email systeme parameters.You should also have a look at your log file.
Save or Cancel to finish...

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I can now see why I can't request a new grib from the plugin. I don't have a local e-mail system set up on my PC.
From: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/new-grib-presentation-100414.html

Note : This is a very simplified function : The plugin do not really send an
email , but open your local email system with an email prepared . You have just to click "send" . Be careful : You must have a valid email environnement on your PC and it must be set as the default email system.

It's no big deal for me, I will carry on requesting gribs manually (as posted in #6 above) and put the download in the grib folder to view via the plugin.
Sorry that this has been of no help to you Mavis.

Last edited:

Mavis

Visit site
I can now see why I can't request a new grib from the plugin. I don't have a local e-mail system set up on my PC.
From: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/new-grib-presentation-100414.html

Note : This is a very simplified function : The plugin do not really send an
email , but open your local email system with an email prepared . You have just to click "send" . Be careful : You must have a valid email environnement on your PC and it must be set as the default email system.

It's no big deal for me, I will carry on requesting gribs manually (as posted in #6 above) and put the download in the grib folder to view via the plugin.
Sorry that this has been of no help to you Mavis.

Thanks, this seems the best option. Frustrating as it is.