Oostende voor Anker & London River

Wunja

Visit site
Robert Oostende HM doesnt do bookings, just arrive & berth when your mentally prepared n pay in the morning ;)

Ear plugs.

I thought this was a joke until I was paying (6d 20 euros?) and he was standing next to me using a voice that can be heard on the other side of the harbour!

ChattingLil

Visit site
Palladin is no Slouch generally a reach to Oostende so a good chance of hull Spd so 12>13 hr trip.
we expect to be leaving on the 27/05 - 07.00z Harwich

12>13 hr from Harwich?

I was thinking it would take more like 18-20 from Burnham. I haven't had a chance to look at my passage plan in depth yet, but that was my (admitedly inexperienced) guesstimate.

Am I way off?

FullCircle

Visit site
12>13 hr from Harwich?

I was thinking it would take more like 18-20 from Burnham. I haven't had a chance to look at my passage plan in depth yet, but that was my (admitedly inexperienced) guesstimate.

Am I way off?

Nope. 18 hours at 5 knots, 90 miles. Just about right, inc tidal assistance.

CliveG

Visit site
London Drop out

Won't be doing the London trip sadly now...

Sorry to hear that you will not be coming up the muddy river.
I have expunged your name from the London List.

Very envious of you holiday leave plans.

See you on the water soon:D

Last edited:

wingdiver

WWW.MYSPACE.COM
One year, we would like to do the Ostende thing. Trouble is, we never know if someone's on call or not until very near to the time.
That said, grabbing a line as you go back etc is a bit scary from up high plus we'd block out the sun mooring next to people. Perhaps g-o-d would offer us a space alongside if we asked nicely/brought tea or bacon?

ChattingLil

Visit site
:-( we might not be able to come to Oostende

due to work and a new night shift for my trusty crew.... I mght be too short of crew for the oostende trip. I'm sorry to mess about but we really won't know until next weekend at the earliest. I can't even offer a berth to anyone to try and find crew as the shifts might be able to be rearranged and then we will come with original crew list... frustrating.

Sixpence

Visit site
ChattingLil; said:
frustrating.

Very, know the feeling well though. It's a great place to visit and there's so many different boats to have a look around during the festival, plus Oostende itself is interesting to nose around. Had hoped to make it but I've had to make the (sensible, I hope ) decision that I'm not yet up to the crossing :eek:
Maybe next year will be different, and hope everyone has a great time

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Will,

Where are you heading from?

Leaving from Harwich, and usually in the dark, we tend to head out north of Cork Sand (rather than the southerly Medusa channel side) to avoid the multitude of pots off Walton, round Cork Sand Yacht Beacon, past Rough Towers, south of the Gallopers, to West Hinder (via Garden City bouy ish) cross the TSS's at right angles, and then straight into Oostende.... only caution we have, is that if it is rough weather, we avoid the sand banks off the Belgian coast after West Hinder, and head into Oostende via the MBN bouy which avoids especially the Middelkerk sand bank.

Its a pretty easy passage really, and a great one for a first time Nth Sea crossing, or inexperienced Skipper.

gruntle

brightlingsea, but planning the next trip
Visit site
You'll be OK with pink fuel provided you can produce a reciept to say the appropriate duty has been paid in the UK. The Dutch got a bit stroppy about the whole thing a couple of years back when derogation finally ended, and fined a few people, but things are apparently much more sensible now