one motor boat

pchen

Visit site
I am new to motor boat and is checking out a Wellcraft 2600 Prima. It was made in 1990 and with only ONE motor (Mercruise, 340 HP). Should I worry about the reliablity of one motor? So far this boat has been in the fresh water, but I will bring it to the Hudson river and Jersey shore.

Thanks for any suggestions and opinions!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
might be best to post this on the motorboat forum.

there have been many bad accidents over the years resulting from failure of a single engine and no backup. a small outboard as a reserve would make you a lot safer.

<hr width=100% size=1>

andyball

Visit site
One engine's never worried me yet & doesn't worry 1000's of commercial fisherman either, but if it bothers you, get a small outboard as a back-up. (lots of people in USA use these just to potter along v.slowly without starting main engine).

Not many wellcraft here...quality looked good on the ones I've seen.

A 1990 engine could be great or a nightmare...get someone to check it out & take advice over anodes etc if you're keeping it afloat in saltwater.

Lots about wellcraft on <A target="_blank" HREF=http://groups.google.com/groups?as_epq=wellcraft&safe=off&ie=ISO-8859-1&as_ugroup=rec.boats&lr=&num=100&hl=en> rec.boats newsgroup</A> ask your question there too.

<hr width=100% size=1>