one design racing

irlssail

Visit site
hi Folks

I am interested in buying something one design for the solent. Is j70 really the only option- its all gone a bit pro-y for me at international regattas- ditto etchells(I also want something fun to sail). I note in the states they have vxone/ viper 640 boats. Is there anything new on the horizon here or anything gaining a bit of buzz?

thanks in advance

flaming

Visit site
Yep, J/70 is the only thing getting regular fleets now, at least in the sportsboat arena. Viper /VXone aren't here. If you're happy with something a little bit more sedate there are plenty of day boats with regular racing. From Etchells to XOD.

If you go up a little in size one option is the HP30 class, which whilst not OD is starting to gain some traction and has some good boat options that can even be cheaper than a new J70....

lw395

Visit site
Some good tactical racing in many of those dayboat classes.
Get a dinghy for the fun part.
In a normal summer you can sail 3 evenings and all weekend if you pick the clubs....

flaming

Visit site
aslo re- hp 30- a modified farr 30 with bowsprit etc seems price
Secondhand J70 is about £30k.
Farr 30 a bit less, then modification costs. So not wildly different. Different type of racing though.

You pays your money and you takes your choice....

Dan Tribe

Visit site
There used to be a good fleet of Nordic Folkboats at Lymington.
Would that be too traditional or cliquey?

michael_w

Visit site
Plenty of Flying Fifteens at Parkstone. You don't need loads of bodies to sail them too. The Solent one design fleet is rather driven by fashion. 707s, Cork 1720s, Melges 24s, J24s, Sigma 33s etc, etc have all had their time in the sun.