On the seabed under your marina berth

mikhalis

Visit site
adjustable spanner, a phone and the odd shackle. Only about 3m deep so I went in the water to try and retrieve the spanner and phone but things just disappear into the grass and silt on the bottom. Never found any of the lost items.

interloper

Visit site
Most recently, a pair of sunglasses. I put them down behind me while I was working. A seagull took off with them and then dropped them in the water. I replaced them with sunglasses that float.

Cool Guy

Visit site
Many years ago one cold winter's day tying up my dad's boat, the skin on my hands had contracted with the cold and as the mooring line slipped through my hand it whipped the gold signet ring given me on my 21st the year before in a slow-motion arc into the muddy depths of Lymington Yacht Haven. We called a diver whose company, if I remember rightly was called 'Six Feet Under'. He went down and came up two minutes later with the ring. Which I still have.

Norman_E

Visit site
A shackle that I dropped off the bow is still down there, but the screwdriver I dropped was rescued when I remembered that I had one of those sea searcher magnets on board. The worst thing to go over the side was a bearing race from a winch. As I dismantled the winch to grease it, the bearing dropped out, bounced on the deck and headed straight into the oggin. As it was stainless the magnet was no use, but a diver who works for a charter company in the marina swam down and retrieved it.
On the same mooring I washed out a filter housing in the sea at the stern, and forgot that it had a large rubber sealing ring, which promptly fell out of the housing and sank. The water there was about 10 feet deep, so I lashed a broom handle to the boat hook, and fished it out again.

l'escargot

Visit site
We were rafted 4 boats out on Lymington town quay years ago and crossing to the shore with SWMBO, her mini me, buggy and two dogs when the(unoccupied) buggy headed for the sea bed. Much entertainment with surrounding boats using grapples, magnets, boat hooks etc. all to no avail. Next morning the HM lads came along with an extra long boat hook, told them where we were as most of the other boats had gone, one sweep and up came the buggy. Often wonder what must be on the bottom there still unclaimed.

Skylark

Visit site
I too lost a pair of fairly expensive sunglasses over the side. We were viewing a friends new (to him) boat for the first time. Pure stupidity on my part. Fortunately, I had diving gear in my car. Everyone thought that I was mad to look. The basin has a reputation for silt. I was under water for less than 20 seconds and found them. If I hadn't found them striaght away I'm sure that they would have been lost for good due to the amount of silt I kicked up as I approached the sea bed.

chinita

Visit site
Two mobiles, two pairs of shades, one pair of specs - closely followed by the LED Lenser torch which I was using to locate the specs (the air was bluer than the bluest thing in the universe). Two deck shoes (from different pairs). A load of keys on one of those cork floaty things (sank like a stone). Got the keys back from the bottom of Sovereign Harbour with a Sea Searcher borrowed from the Marina Office (respect).

Keep promising myself one but can never bear to part with that amount of dosh for a magnet. Silly really.

PlanB

Visit site
Most of the above plus numerous pegs, several towels, a hoodie, a bra and, left by the previous berth holder, a satellite dish.

ChattingLil

Visit site
HWMO has lost 2 phones, one pair of specs, one pair of sunnies, one mug, one plate, one cockpit cushion, one hat, one nav light, several tools and loads of nuts and bolts.

Being almost perfect, I have only ever lost one cap which I retrieved as mob and an unopened bottle of champagne.

andymcp

Visit site
Actually under my last berth - a Blackberry, two screwdrivers, a wrench, the nav lights off the bow, an as yet unidentified part of the roller furling gear and a crystal tumbler. The last may give a clue as to the deteriorating state of co-ordination which led to all the others disappearing over. It was, however, unseasonably hot and there was a large amount of frustration at what should have been a simple case of loosening the furling drum, which led to the discovery of more and more issues. After 5 hours of repairs, I felt a gin was justified......

Also lost overboard in several places - Mrs McP's favourite sun hat (thought it would float until we remembered the metal band around the rim to stop it blowing away too easily), one winch handle, the dooberywotsit from the end of the spinnaker pole that shot out of its housing when we tripped the pole, two ipods (kids now have theirs on leashes) and a plate of lovely mid-cruise snacks lovingly prepared by Mrs McP then brought on deck just as a large gust hit.....

Barnacle Bill

www.aztecsailing.co.uk
Always worth a dive along the berths in a marina whenever you can get away with it. Numerous tools in my tool box have been collected that way.

Technique for retrieving something you dropped onto a deep muddy bottom (no water movement: wouldn't work in the Hamble): Carefully lower a weight on a light cord about 2ft away from where it went into the water, then sink down the cord with controlled buoyancy till you can see the bottom: you should see the object, or the hole it made.

I managed to retrieve the little drain screw from the outboard carb float chamber, in 15m of water to a muddy bottom that way ... it was sitting on the mud!

Tony Cross

Visit site
Nothing. If we (or anyone else) drop anything we snorkel down to get it. The deepest part of the marina here is only 7m so it's easy to nip down anywhere. I've recovered wallets, cameras and phones (and some of them worked after a wash down afterwards), tools and even two bottles of wine! Mind you, the water is a lot warmer here, it's usually fairly clear too.