On buying a Spanish registered yacht

robp

Visit site
Not strictly Liveaboard but looking for experiences. I've done some quick searches but haven't found the answer to this question yet.

I'm a UK citizen close to going to buy a house and take up residency in Spain. I would also want to own a boat there. Given that I would be classed as a resident and therefore would need to re-register a UK flagged vessel, with all that involves, I'm looking at buying a boat in Spain. Then of course I would need to pass a relevant test of competency for Spain. I have never attained a Yachtmaster qualification. Yes a bit slack on my part I know. My question is, has anyone achieved this with limited Spanish language skills? Or, maybe I should just bite the bullet and go to the UK and achieve a YM ticket? (I'm currently in Australia).

Any info gratefully received.

Tranona

Visit site
There is no need to put your boat on the Spanish register if you are a UK citizen and qualify for British registration. if you are a UK resident you can use the SSR, but if resident in spain you will have to register on part 1. If you buy a boat in Spain you deregister it and put it on the British register. If you buy in the UK you will then have to import it into Spain if/when you become resident paying the (small) matriculation tax. You do not have to pass any Spanish test to use your boat in either case, but it makes sense to have an ICC.

There is useful information on this subject on the RYA site.

robp

Visit site
Thanks Tranona, that's interesting. (And good news). Most of what I got so far is from the Cruising Association and Frank Singleton but it's highly likely that I've missed or misunderstood something. I'll be in Spain next week and will get into it more.
Thanks again