Old Seadog Fashion

Visit site
I lost most of my sailing kit during recent nomadic years but now face a North Sea crossing. The problem is this. If I visit a South Coast chandlery with debit card I might heaven forbid, end up looking like a SunSail neophyte.

I think the secret to looking as though you know what pickled Frenchman favoured cider tastes like is to wear an assortment of gear borrowed from different sailing clothing epochs. I plan to start this discordant look with my navy/grey 1980’s Musto middle tier salopettes, hand knitted Aran jumper and brown oiled canvas mitts. Then I need to spend some money, perhaps an orange army/navy surplus water proof smock would compliment the image or one of those smart Henrilloyd classic deck coats.

For a 21st century token to street culture a HL cap with pull down earmuffs would serve a purpose. Nearly there, but looking for inspiration in the footwear department.

All suggestions welcome.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
How about a pair of wellie boots with the tops folded down and a pair of hand-knitted long white/grey socks ? ?

Or perhaps a pair of these long sea-boots that are seen in old photographs. You know, the ones that they folded down the tops, then folded up again. I could ask around the fish market here in Aberdeen to see if anyone has anything suitable. After all, they don't have much need of them now after the latest round of fishing cut-backs. They would have the authentic smell as well ! !

Or flip-flops??

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Footwear

How about a pair of 'Ted Heaths' - blue canvas plimsolls with a white welt, laces and tread.

web_clothing.jpg

They should, of course, be soaked in brine and dried, before being worn in public.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
I can\'t go along with this.

If you'd bought a Seadog or an ageing Macwester Wight or a venerable Hilliard then perhaps this post would be OK, but Jonjo - you've bought a Nicholson - sleek and seaworthy - she deserves not to have her crew looking like they are all apprentice fitters on some travelling circus.
I see through this anyway - you think by buying the boat you've spent enough and are looking to make some small economy - well sod that, get your hand down you skinflint.
Anyway -if it was me making the trip across the N.Sea, I think to be encased in several layers of Mr Musto's finest would be just sublime.
Perhaps our new YM will comment here before he goes to take up his post in the new RYA offices - he was out saving fenders at some ungodly hour mid-channel last week so he'll know a thing or two about clothing and personal safety and hygiene.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Ohdrat

Visit site
I've got a his and hers pair of 1960's oil skins .. the his ones are Looooooooooooooong... not breathable tho'!

Re footware... I have also got the original big black turn down wader style things.. they must be museum pieces..

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
Re: Shabby-Chic

> Nicholson - deserves not to have her crew looking like they
> are all apprentice fitters

Maybe I have created the wrong impression. In the world of interior design there is a look called "shabby-chic", this is what I am aiming for.

> if it was me making the trip across the N.Sea, I think to be encased in
> several layers of Mr Musto's

I am hoping the sheltered steering position will allow me forgo the latest trends in hi-tech clothing but next week's delivery trip will clarify this issue. When I get the windscreen wiper working even getting wet will become a rare event.

Excuse me while I pinch myself - yes it is true I own a yacht with a windscreen wiper!

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Re: I can\'t go along with this.

I can sell you some suitable clothing at a reasonable price! I will of course be loth to part with many of my trusty undergarments that have served me well on both mountain and ocean but I can see a good cause when it it bashes me on the nose. I may however have to revert to the fishnet tights I used to wear when winter climbing prior to the invention of thininsulate long johns. Also thoroughly recommended are a pair of marigolds worn over thin gloves. Its a great excuse to get into the galley and out the cold!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
Kemp Clear screens

No matter how long you have the Nich, I bet you never get out of the habit of ducking when a big green one hits the screen - its wonderful to not be stuffing towels down your collar any more!

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

snowleopard

Visit site
when i were a lad..

sailing was a way of getting a bit more wear out of old clothes. we wore black wellies and jeans with antifouling on the bits that were'nt torn and we smelt of mud and bilges. when the weather turned bad we swapped the bobble hat for a souwester.

Our sweaters were knitted from steel wool and smelt as though the sheep were still in them (no, they weren't). our sleeping bags were damp and covered in those little black spots. we tanned our cotton sails with cutch (big improvement on fish oil & ochre).

we sailed wooden boats with gaff rig because that was what we could afford, not to be trendily authentic.

and we dreamed of dry bilges and clothing that kept the water out.

of course we were looked down on by the posh types with their new plastic boats and yacht club blazers but they never went to sea.

<hr width=100% size=1>