Old PLBs

weaver_fish

Visit site
Picked up a couple of new PLBs at SIBS yesterday. What’s the deal for old ones and disposal? Have some McMurdo Fast Finds that are a few years past their date. Is there a mechanism for deregistering and safe disposal? Not sure about just throwing them in the electrical waste at the tip!

dunedin

Visit site
Picked up a couple of new PLBs at SIBS yesterday. What’s the deal for old ones and disposal? Have some McMurdo Fast Finds that are a few years past their date. Is there a mechanism for deregistering and safe disposal? Not sure about just throwing them in the electrical waste at the tip!
Test the battery life. If still good (very likely) keep on board as spares/ extras - like I used to keep the previous set if flares, back in the day, after bought new.

Plum

Visit site
if they really have failed or you no longer want them, then just mail them back to the manufacturer or UK importer with a little note asking them to dispose of them correctly.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Test the battery life. If still good (very likely) keep on board as spares/ extras - like I used to keep the previous set if flares, back in the day, after bought new.

Agreed, my old Pains Wessex (non gps) still self-tested fine 12 years after battery expiry date, before I finally binned it after removing battery. Why throw a Fast Find plb away when new batteries can be fitted more cheaply than a replacement one?

weaver_fish

Visit site
Agreed, my old Pains Wessex (non gps) still self-tested fine 12 years after battery expiry date, before I finally binned it after removing battery. Why throw a Fast Find plb away when new batteries can be fitted more cheaply than a replacement one?
Thanks - didn’t realise the battery could be replaced doh!

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I had to de-register mine which was coded for Switzerland in order for it to be re-registered in the UK when I sold it.

edit to add: It had been battle tested and proved to work as advertised! Good bit of kit!