Old motorboat on the Medina

dancrane

Visit site
I think the name is "Gunfleet", or something very close, but Google doesn't return any references.

She looks very slim and probably was very fast - maybe ex-RN? But not the MTB shape I'm accustomed to recognising.

Anybody know anything about her? Thanks.

IMG-20180812-WA0005_zpshqkedlvc.jpg

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
Looks similar to a German river launch used by many of their government authorities. Low air draft for the bridges.
Could be police, border guards or even the military

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Where did you find the photo? I right-clicked the photo and found you have put it in photo-bucket which was no help.

Maybe a Pilot Boat? It looks like some sort of workboat......

Clive

dancrane

Visit site
Thanks for replying...I agree she has the look of a work or patrol-boat, and the sleekness would suit low bridges on rivers I'm sure.

I didn't find the photo, I took it, last week.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Where did you find the photo? I right-clicked the photo and found you have put it in photo-bucket which was no help.

Maybe a Pilot Boat? It looks like some sort of workboat......

Clive

Not a pilot boat, they have lots of empty space on the foredeck and a central rail for the pilot to grab onto when he leaps aboard from the side of a ship.
Lots of accommodation below and no appreciable work space on deck, so yes, possible riverine patrol vessel,. Could also have been a passenger ferry in sheltered waters.

Last edited:

spynappels

Visit site
Design may have been based off the WWII seaplane tenders or crash tenders, they had similar accommodation (especially the accommodation forward of the wheelhouse was common on crash tenders) and were used for SAR in the North Sea as well as general seaplane tendering duties. I believe Vospers were the main builders.

I built a 1m long model of one for my Technology and Design GCSE, the layout made R/C equipment fitting a doddle.

dancrane

Visit site
Certainly similar style and proportions to those...

...but the distinctive "inverse sheerline" of WW2 motor torpedo boats and related vessels, isn't present in the boat on the Medina.

That's what made me curious - because she looks like the product of a quite different generation or region.

coopec

N/A
Visit site

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Dan

Is this site any help? It is the Lloyds register of ships.

You can just put the start of the name in and do a search.
http://www.plimsollshipdata.org/

The tonnage of ships listed is far too large if I do a search on "Gun". But Australia has a register of ships for yacht and launches : maybe Lloyds has one too?

Clive

coopec

N/A
Visit site
I seem to remember Gunfleet was a name used the Port of London authority on one of their launches based at Tilbury, possible she was one of theirs?

Well this looks promising as the Port of London does use the name "Gunfleet". Now obviously the photo I am about to give you the link to may be a of a present day "Gunfleet" (Not our Gunfleet")
http://www.pla.co.uk/Media-Centre/PLA-Galleries?category=search&searchtext=gunfleet&x=0&y=0#gal_202

I'd say she is almost certainly ex Port of London.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Por...s-7cAhUMe7wKHf7HDd8Q_AUICigB&biw=1064&bih=609

https://www.google.com/search?clien....0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.0.0....0.FGgubq4aZfU

Thank Keith, I am happy now!

Clive

Last edited:

dancrane

Visit site
Thanks to all for the insights - this was only a very casual enquiry, but it's good to know I'm not the only person who's curious!

It's certainly true that Port of London Authority has a RIB called Gunfleet, and for a while I was hoping that the Medina boat was an earlier PLA vessel with the same name, but no search I've tried has yet supplied a matching photo.

At the moment I find Motor_Sailor's logic pretty good, about the likely date and origin of this boat's style; although again, there's no matching pictorial record on any photo-search of Rhine patrol boats.

I feel that the four square front windows in the wheelhouse are distinctive - plenty of pictures of fast patrol and rescue boats have three, or even five windows there, but none I've seen have four.

As for the name, I believe I'm right about "Gunfleet"...and it doesn't look like that plate is anything new...

Screenshot_2018-08-15-10-14-48_zpsth7f0uvg.png

...but no regional search of vessel has yet yielded a match. I didn't realise that a boat this large, could just disappear from records.

lw395

Visit site
It doesn't look like the Nelson-type boats favoured by the PLA.
Could it have been something to do with the Gunfleet wind farm?
I imagine the cat flap might be an issue in strong weather. Cat would be surprised at least?

dancrane

Visit site
:biggrin-new::biggrin-new:

I must admit, I hadn't noticed the cat-flap.

But that would seem (to me) to suggest long-term use as a houseboat.

I'm surprised if Newport/Medina mooring-holders don't know anything about the vessel.