Old flares and bonfire night ?

rickwat

Visit site
I was thinking of firing a couple of flares off in an empty field on Nov 5 . Is this illegal ? One would be an offshore parachute type. I don't see a safety prob but could be if failed to fire. Is there an official procedure to dispose of unused old flares ?

oldharry

Visit site
Yes, it is illegal to make a distress signal. And no there is no 'official procedure' as such, although the authorities in each area do usually make some provision for it. If you are on the Coast, contact your local Coastguard for information.

As to safety - if they are out of date - the flare may not go high enough to burn out before it lands again. Wouldnt fancy that on my back garden, car, or thatched cottage/ hayrick etc.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Unfortunately, no official procedure for disposal.

Don't fire a marine para flare inland unless a) you're absolutely, totally, utterly convinced that it won't be interpreted as a distress flare, reported to the authorities and trigger a response; and b) you're sure that it won't land on anything that is flammable or damageable. Marine flares are designed to burn until landing, so your neighbour won't be too happy if it lands on his garden shed.

Re handhelds, can't see any harm in it, but use heavy gloves, and have a bucket of water ready to drop the red hot carcass into when it finishes burning. They drop molten dross on the ground so not over anything flammable, and hold it downwind of other people.

S

Skyva_2

Coastguard is your best bet.

I would not set off a flare if not an emergency, after what happened to Duncan Wells.

Malcb

www.virgo-owners.org
Depends on where you are. I, I mean we, in a group, with CG permission and HM Portsmouth knowledge, let off flares within the Portsmoputh harbour area as a training exercise. The only 'No, No' was parachute flares, for understandable reasons.

I would have thought, if you are well inland and well away from any habitation , then no-one is going to take the slightest bit of notice of a handheld flare, but in the case of parachute flares, I would say never.

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I admit that for the past couple of years I have been lofting a vertible barrage of parachute flares every 5th........

We live in the countryside (Ish) bout 100 miles from the sea, so havent had any sea kings over head so far. Plus everyone seems to have burnt out before it landed!

Could be luck i suppose....

dulcibella

blog.mailasail.com
Please don't be tempted - these things are really hazardous over the land and likely to cause prolonged investigation over the sea. Do the boring thing by handing them in to CG for disposal.

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Please don't be tempted

[/ QUOTE ] After what happened to Duncan ????? I can easily resist the tempation to let off any flares unless absolutely necessary.

TigaWave

www.H4marine.com
I could be wrong but I've heard that para flares for use at sea are designed to keep burning until they hit the water, it gives them extra seconds of chances to be seen. On land it could be a shed or worse.

Hand held smokes are good for lighting the bonfire I've found.

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What DID happen to Duncan?

[/ QUOTE ] Somewhere in the link given by Old salt there is a detailed account of the accident.

Briefly though Duncan had been demonstrating flares for his evening class students (and allowing them to try them I believe) then the following evening he was filming some more in order to produce an instructional video or dvd. He had let off several but then a white hand flare malfunctioned and exploded in his hand. Quite apart from the severe damage to his hand and the effect it has had on his hearing the metal body of the flare passed practically right through his abdomen doing horrendous damage from which he will never recover. (Just imagine a burning flare imbedded in your guts!)

The accident happened early last year (March IIRC), he was in intensive care for about 3 months and did not leave hospital until I think January this year.

He is incredibly lucky to be alive, if he had not received prompt attention he almost certainly would not be.

This accident was the reason Pains Wessex recalled all their white hand flares last year.

rwoofer

Visit site
I let off a handheld flare in my garden once. Had the entire neighbourhood looking out their windows wondering why the whole area had been lit up. I was stunned by how bright it was....

Certainly taught me to respect them a bit more.

PeterGibbs

Visit site
Disposal: alternatively, I find that if you're buying new flares, chandlers will take the old ones for their suppliers to dispose of. Best and easiest.

PS. Folks, for those who have not let off real flares you should know they are not garden funnies. There is a lot of power in even the handhelds, as you might expect if they are to be seen at a distance at sea! Plenty of scope for nasty burns, even from the "hand helds". Rockets, except in real emergency, are a total no-no!

PWG

rickwat

Visit site
I've arranged to take all my out of date flares to Coastguard. Chandlers I've tried have no provision themselves. CG were extremely helpful and would have collected them from boat but wished the manufacturers would take responsibility for disposal. The appaling plight of Duncan referred to makes you worry about using them at all. Hopefully DSC radio, EPIRBs and a high power torch would make them very much last resort. I don't have any of those but will get for next year.

nighthawk

Visit site
I believe that Solas - para flares should extinguish before they hit the water/oil/petrol - PHHuuTT springs to mind /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif - I remember reading something like that on the side of the flare when I chartered a boat ie angle to fire - downwind - height it should reach & soooposedley extinguish /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif