Oily exhaust water

stefan_r

athito.home.services.spaces.live.com
I've never noticed this before but I seem to have a spot of oil in my raw water exhaust....it's not masses and the exhaust gas isn't blue or anything that could indicate a big problem, I just don't remember seeing an oily sheen coming from my exhausts before.

The engines were not cold (but not at 80deg operating temp) and at tickover.

I have 2x MAN d2848lxe 680hp....they are the type that shuts down half the bank when ticking over. Don't know whether they are more oily because of this feature or whether bigger diesels drop a proportionally larger amount of oil into the exhaust.

I had been out for a good run the week before and all fluids are right where they should be.

Any thoughts??

<hr width=100% size=1>mailto: stefan@athito.com

G

hello new user here my natural instinct is that there should not be any oil passing through the exhaust my guess is one of 2 things manifold gasket or hope your sitting down h/gasket hope not!

<hr width=100% size=1>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
No sorry don't agree, if it was the head gasket there would be many other problems. I suspect it just a small amount of unburnt diesel, a tiny amount goes a long way. I bet most engines will show the same signs if we were to look.

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
I think the esteemed LJS is right. (Want some more scalops) A bit of soot or diesel will create this look. It only takes a teaspoon full. Anyway if your not loosing any oil, wheres it comming from??

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue> Haydn

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Kalimera Stefan. This trace is quite normal so I am told. It is just a tiny trace of unburnt fuel.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

G

If you havn`t noticed before then it is almost certain it was not there, if it is un burnt fuel then will certainly get worse and a soot build up depending on vessel will start to appear around transom exhaust shields etc. and when underway the vortex created will blow soot back into boat. possibly injectors wearing how old are they. notice the,,,,,,,

<hr width=100% size=1>

mainshiptom

Visit site
What you should do with immidate effect is switch your engines with mine.

Your boat will be a lot more economocal and no soot !

You might just be going a little slower about 10 knots if you are pushing them, also parts are cheap ! (Perkins)

let me know when it is a good time for you !

you will also have lots of room spare in your engine room to put toys in or maybe extra fuel ! You might be able to go around the world ??

Thanks

tom

<hr width=100% size=1>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Sorry to disagree again, most unusual, twice in one day! I think all engines will have a little unburnt diesel coming out of their exhaust, nothing at all to worry about.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: Oily exhaust water - ooer

I'm fairly sick of the "don't worry" type responses hereabouts. Perhaps this heralds some dreadful mecahnical Problem of the First Kind (i.e expensive?) hmm?

So, about this oily water, is it loads of the stuff glooping out? Or just a teeny bit? How much oil eh?

Have you tried nipping next door to get them going about the oily water - oi look, oily water and it's definitely from your boat matey, not mine!

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Every boat I have ever owned had this trace of oil in the exhaust. It is most noticeable (and embarrasing) when in a Lock. Bear in mind the faintest trace goes a long long way.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

boatmad2

Visit site
Remember those cylinders that shut down at idle, they are still thrashing pistons up and down but not firing i'll bet a minute amount of oil gets out of the exhaust valves, anyway large engines like this do pass more oil than little ones dont get paranoid about it. IMHO

<hr width=100% size=1>

stefan_r

athito.home.services.spaces.live.com
how much?!

hmmm thanks for the expensive approach...might just get the engines taken out, rinsed off head gasket or two replaced and then stuck back in.

Dunno how much oil - haven't tasted it, doesn't look like much....really like when you spill a bit of washing up liquid (errrr or oil!!!) in some water - certainly not a kuwait style gush!!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>mailto: stefan@athito.com

Eightpots

Visit site
Re: how much?!

Rings! Blow past and maybe a bit of crankcase pressure. Add to that shagged filters, mal adjusted injection pump, dodgy injectors, shagged valve stem oil seals/guides, knackerd oil cooler seals, buggered turbo in fact any number of reasons. Or maybe its just cos its a bloody crappy diesel!

<hr width=100% size=1>

miket

Visit site
I'm with Byron on this one.
All my boats (9 of them) have been over 5 years old and varying from 200 hrs to 2,000...... hrs.
They have all had a trace of oily deposit around the exhaust when running, which I have always understood to be down to unburnt fuel, for whatever reason.
I have never worried about it or done anything and it has never deteriorated, nor gone "..bang.." !!

<hr width=100% size=1>