Oil quantity Volvo 2002

RodMB

Visit site
Just changed oil on Volvo 2002 (new boat to me - engine probably original circa 1987). Got just under 2 litres out through dipstick with pump and estimate maybe 200ml or so in filter (and now bilges!).

Old workshop manual suggests should have 2.75 litres. I ran engine briefly and dipstick not really clear where level should be. It's marked "318" in a 'cross-hashed' area toward bottom of dipstick and level currently sitting mid-way in this area. I've left it to settle to see where it ends up but can anyone confirm quanity oil for engine / advise on where level should goto on dipstick (? top of cross-hashed area).

Engine retrofitted with fresh-water cooling and overhauled few years ago in case relevant (doubt it.) Engine seems to run OK save for slow to start from cold (a common complaint apparently) - no obvious bad smoke etc.

Regards

RodMB

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
The cross hatched area on your dipstick indicates max and min levels of oil. The amount you state is correct for the 2002 engine, 2.75ltrs of SAE 20/W30.

The level on your dipstick can depend on the angle the engine is sitting in the boat, although the dipstick should be somewhere halfway along the engine and show an average level.

If you want a download of the VP 2000 series, go to VP manual click on Tech info and get it before they are "requested" to remove it.

I have a pdf copy of the owners manual if you need it.

andy_wilson

Visit site
Starting

Are you using the correct start proceedure?

Power on.

Throttle to 3/4 (or full if it's a bit worn).

Fully extend stop control and return to set cold start fuel setting.

Hit the button.