Oil on GRP?

davesimmons

Visit site
The transom of my Regal 1800 has always suffered from sun damage and is very faded in certain areas. I spoke with a boaty expert in my marina and he said it was beyond a t-cut job and would have to be finely sanded down etc.

The other day I was wiping the boat down at the back and forgot that we recently had a slight oil spill that must have got onto the cloth - hey presto /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif the transom looked new!! I know this is a temporary solution at best but honestly you would not believe the difference.

Just to check – will oil residue on GRP cause more damage in the long term?

adrianb

Visit site
Can you clarify what the boaty expert actually said - and based upon what ?

Very, very unusual for GRP need sanding down, especially newish hulls............

The oil wont harm, but will collect cra* too, so you'll need to keep wiping. If the gel has gone really badly, thie "oil" could clog the pores of the grp, making polishing that much harder - and expensive !

Got any pics ?

All IMHO

Adrian
www.cleanandshiny.co.uk

oldsaltoz

Visit site
D'day dave,

There is a product that will you the same finish, its spread on and dries to high shine by adding a very thin layer of clear resin.

Have a talk to your local chandler, or perhaps another forumite will come up with the name of the product, called something like fibreglass restorer.

Good Luck

Avagoodweekend......