Oi! Guests! Why don't you register?

Babylon

Visit site
This forum is currently showing 382 people viewing (63 members & 319 guests) - that's 84% guests and only 16% members.

Reminds me of school, college, university, work, college again, work again, still work - where the majority of people always kept their heads below the parapet, leaving the minority to do all the running.

So, calling all Guests, why don't you register? No-one's going to think you silly or bite your heads off.

On the contrary, you'll be made really welcome!

Babylon :)

BrendanS

Visit site
Very few will be long term repeat visitors. Most will be people doing google and other searches, finding something that may be of interest, having a quick read, and probably moving on as they are focused on their search. A few may be idling looking for something, and stay to browse and be interested enough to bookmark the site and come back, etc.

Cymrogwyllt

Visit site
A lot of the guests will be spiders from Google, Yahoo etc. I for one spent time as a guest before signing up. Too many sign ups can get one signalled up as a spammer.

VicS

Visit site
I lurked, just reading posts that interested me, for sometime.

One day there was question about something I had first hand experience of so I registered in order to reply.

16,000 + posts says what a mistake to make!

Signed Out

Visit site
I was a guest for a while being shy about dipping my toe in what appeared to ba shark infested pool. When I realised the sharks were more of the basking than great white variety I joined.:rolleyes:

Perhaps...

sharks.jpg

Only really worth registering if you want to say something.

And re-register if you want to rant.

BrendanS

Visit site
yes, because the content changes frequently, the major search engines will update regularly. You can see how often they do it by using searches on new content and seeing how quickly it turns up in the search engine.

prv

Visit site
You can see how often they do it by using searches on new content and seeing how quickly it turns up in the search engine.

Often within minutes, it seems! You can do a search to check on a subject before replying to a thread on it, and already the thread will be the top hit.

Pete

BrendanS

Visit site
exactly, and the big search engines will use multiple spiders, so looks like lots of guests. Asking them to sign up and join in won't get very far! :)

Pandoramark1

Visit site
Very few will be long term repeat visitors. Most will be people doing google and other searches, finding something that may be of interest, having a quick read, and probably moving on as they are focused on their search. A few may be idling looking for something, and stay to browse and be interested enough to bookmark the site and come back, etc.

I came here via a search, and within 3 mins was not only a member but had an answer to my first post :)

PMK1

johnphilip

Visit site
Signing in

I wonder how many of your lurkers are in fact like me, registered but do not sign in unless inspired to post? I know I can ask the computer to keep me logged in but I prefer not to. Plenty of others care to own up?

VicS

Visit site
I stay logged in!
Or automatically logged in is perhaps a more accurate description.

You cannot view the Lougne unless you are logged in. Perhaps one good reason not to log in :D

Poignard

Visit site
I wonder how many of your lurkers are in fact like me, registered but do not sign in unless inspired to post? I know I can ask the computer to keep me logged in but I prefer not to. Plenty of others care to own up?

Me too. Most of the time I only log in to post something or to be able to see photos other people have posted or if I am following an interesting row in the Lounge. The 'keep me logged in' box doesn't work on my computer, for some reason.