Oh well, bring on the petrol knockers...

BarryD

Visit site
Planning to bring my new toy around the cape of Kent with the able assistance of a someone who has a clue about boats and a lot of booze. However the Rinker is petrol powered and I'm not sure if she has the legs to go from Bradwell (near Southend) to Chichester on one tank - about a 170NM.

Can any South East boaty types confirm if their marina / harbour has petrol for sale. Probably looking to overnight somewhere between Brighton and Folkstone can't be more definate as I'm not sure of the performance / range and if I really want to run hell for leather the whole way...

I'm prepares to be swamped with "Diesel available everywhere mate" comments. No good she can't burn diesel.

Barry D.

G

Re: ooh

I'll come along if you like - or have you already found someone? I think petrol is all lovely (!) and indeed am in favour of anything that helps boats go fowards. I have vast expertise on the subject of of booze too, altho my fees may run to a mars bar and even a Twix. A super-early departure sthend on a neapy day with any sub 4/5 N winds shd reach ramsgate for early lunch, brighton or chich thru owers later. Yerl be ok at dover or ramsgate for some juice. A spare 10gal jerrycan or two is a good idea. send me a PM if yer need someone. Report in full regardless.

peterg

Visit site
it might be cheaper...

to hire a trailer and tow it to Chichester on the back of the Cherokee, at least then you don't have to watch the weather so much!

good luck, especially if you take Matts with you....(ask Colin about their journey) and take lots of fire extinguishers!

G

Re: aw! and pah!

Twould be a pity not to take the boat under its own steam er fumes. After all, that's the idea of the engine innit? It'll always be cheaper to draggit around. If the juice is a blimmin quid a litre, mebbe get a few 10gal plastic jerrycans and mega funnel and fillem at BP? Either that or ring in advance and negotiate a cheaper deal?

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: Doubting Thomas!!

Although most in favour of taking boats out most any time, even petroly things, if others are paying and with Matt on a Mars a day even better.
Other side of me says. November!! Weather a bit un certain!!
Lumpy cold sea and gurgling petrol over the side and hopefully into tank. 170 miles, fuel consumption??? Tank capacity??? Petrol availability??? Smallish boat??
Now with a few weeks to play with and hotels on tap and even bigger cheque book and overdraft arranged. Then sneak out to sea a few times and abort mision a couple of times before making a quick dash twenty or thirty miles round the corner before next storm is due.
Into big posh hotel to recover from hypothermia and carrying Egon Ronay guide to best massage parlours on southcoast
(For aching back). Makes it all sound quite lovely.
Can we all come!!

PS Its not Matts exploding toilet. ITS MINE. Gerroff!!

Haydn

BarryD

Visit site
Re: Doubting Thomas!!

Hi Hayden - toilets? No comment. The Rinker is 28' LOA so it is big enough for sensible coastal cruising. But only has a single engine so she is a bit light. Fuel tank is 70 gallons so hopefully won't have to sit rolling at sea with jerry cans - agreed the WX might be ropey but then we just don't go or we run for shelter.

BTW - the plan is to find marinas with petrol not 5* massage parlours, all though...

Going by road is not an option. As Pauline say's its a boat not a bloody caravan. Besides at 28' long methinks its not the sort of thing to learn towing on. And I don't have a tow hook or a for that matter a trailer. By the time you factor in hire of various bits and a lift at either end it's cheaper to cruise round. Hang on though Mr Wignall has 4x4 tow vehicle...

Barry D.

G

Re: Difficult call

You sort a trailer, I'll tow it (if the rig comes in under 3.5 tonnes). Think through carefully though: Assuming you get maybe 1.5 mpg (probably not far off), you'll burn around 115 gals of unleaded, at £4 a gallon, for a cost of £460 or so (more if you have to put in to a marina to top up (you will - with a 70 gallon tank at 1.5mpg your 'safe' range is probably 80-90 miles).

I was quoted about £500 to bring Arcadia (our F'line T29) up from Falmouth on a low loader to Christchurch ( 178 miles), but we opted to motor up. Took 7.5 hours in July, and it was punishing, as we ended up with NW5-6 on the day.

It's gonna cost you half a grand either way - going by sea for the experience is always a good thing, but at this time of year? I'd be tempted to go by road and do a few experimental trips out once in Chi.

G

Re: sea for me

A quick run over the route on trusty garmin handheld plotter it seems no more than 150nm. Up from Fal in a nw is indeed a tough trip, but careful fwd lookee at the 5+days fcast and shd be ok IMHO, esp with NW, say, or NW veering N. There's not often a long trip with purpose comes up. I admit I used a trailer for getting to the swest, but that was for the car, while we went on the boat. Stil fancy at least one jerrycan just in case. A liferaft won't be necessary, unless of course a liferaft becomes necessary, so best have a liferaft. Incid, have just realised that BarryD kindly sent me Italian tapes FOC, so I had better be jolly nice and buy the odd-numbered drinks. Standing by....

peterg

Visit site
no liferaft but....

Barry has just bought a nice little dinghy and o/b so that'll have to do instead

How did you connect the trailer with the car on to the back of your boat?

If you're taking jerrycans with petrol for goodness sake have plenty of fire extinguishers ;-)

G

Re: fire extinguishers

I know they sound like a good idea, but have you ever tried one? You get about two squirts out of the 1.3Kg ones, enough to put out a burning newspaper or so. If you have a petrol fire, you're f***ed.

I had an engine bay fire in the car a few years ago, fortunately only 50yds from a petrol station (in the m'way svcs, as it happens), so I ran and grabbed one of the BIG dry powder extinguishers from the forecourt. Even they only give you a few seconds.

I know anything's better than nothing, but still. Thoughts, folks? any firemen out there?

G

Re: Make mental note

Pauline likes men in uniform with big choppers...