Oh well, bring on the petrol knockers...

ArthurWood

Visit site
BarryD - I don't know if you have one or two engines, but whatever you have are probably V-8s. If you have two, reckon on up to 30gph depending upon sea/speed etc and 20gph for single engine. Either way, you'll probably not make 170nm on one tank unless you have a very big tank on what I think is probably a smallish boat. Fiesta Vee? I'd like to come along, too, but it's a long way from here. Good luck

G

Re: Not any old uniform

I've got some wellies and a hose, and a big... well, let's just stop there shall we?

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: Doubting Thomas!!

Ok might be a go'er then, pitty about the massage though!!
Fuel consumption still a bit worrying though. I only recon on one mile to the gallon on mine and thats diesel.
I think untill you've been a few miles and got the feel of it.
Fourty or fifty miles for first leg would be enough to aim for.
And dont forget you'll use a hell of a lot more if its rough.
Plan with plenty of bolt holes. You might just need them!!

Haydn

G

Re: putting out engine fires

A soluition I am aware of is to leave engine compartment shut (car or motorboat) avoid temptation to run for your life, engage neutral and raise engine revs to "fairly high". This worked perfectly for an old citoen that I had, "sucking" the fire out.

It of course did not work at all for a motorbike that I had which "kicked back" on stopping and set fire to carbs, so I left the bugger to burn, ran into shop, and shouted at all in shop "move that car outside quickly!" which was next down the hill. The shop owner (it was his, it turns out) retorted "it's my shop my car i'll park where i like!" so I hid behind his counter, burning petrol from bike went under his car, his car went up in smoke, as did his transit van next down the hill, took under ten minutes for them all to be good and gone their horns wailing full blast, small explosions as each windows went, then fireman asked for his vehicle docs which were burned in his car and van respectively. But I did buy a newspaper from him, which I think is very fair.

G

Re: very fair

I always said that matts was a real Gent, y'know. What a toff, eh, buying a newspaper from that bloke...

BarryD

Visit site

A veritable gent indeed. Of course having burnt his car and a transit - t'would have been nicer to have bought a quarter of fruit bomb-bombs as well.

Barry D.

G

I must admit that it was somewhat Pythonesque. He had calmed down (a bit) and the fireman were tidying up when I bought the paper. Then I pushed burned motorbike home.

G

Re: Steady!

Got to keep some sense of perspective. He has got his position to think of, and you wouldn't want a tradesman thinking he was on a par with Matts, now, would you?

G

Re: Steady!

quite along time ago, actually, oop north near Leeds, hence hilly.

G

Re: petrol availability fuel

Eastbourne, Brighton, Littlehampton all have unleaded . Newhaven has a marina but no fuel but if you are caught short thre is a garage within walking distance .
Littlehampton is 8am - 5.00pm. Shorham harbour has garage again within walking distance. moor in western approach to River Adur but beware of low tides.

pongo

Visit site
Hi Barry

Petrol for sale at Ramsgate a good overnight stop also Eastbourn & Brighton marina this should easily suffice for your trip

Regards

Steve

pongo

Visit site
P.S.

Plenty of info on the net Radio frequency's of marina's type of berths and fuel availability don't forget Chart's and lot's of heating it's getting cold out there

You will never make the whole journey in one hit !!!!!!!

Best to stop at Ramsgate then again in Brighton

Trust me I have been there HONEST

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU

WATCH THE WEATHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pongo

Visit site
Re: petrol availability fuel

I have read some of your other reply's safest to take 2(TWO) jerry cans
flares. and a gag for the missus when the going gets rough (ha! ha!)

Doing No 2's at sea not always easy either bit messy

G

Re: fire extinguishers

In my 'wet behind the ears' state of boating knowledge, I asked the question on this BB about pros/cons of fuel (about 2 months ago) and got a sackful of replies all of which were very interesting (to me). Maybe you want to check my posts and pick up the thread.

RJMW

G

Re: Did someone say firemen ???

Blimmin eck! This is about the third time this fred has drifted onto "that subject area"

RJMW

nealeb

Visit site
Barry

Done this trip in reverse a couple of years ago. Hamble to Burnham on Crouch. Boat is 25ft with single V8 petrol. Fuel tank is only 45gal.
Filled up at hamble @ 0.90p litre. First stop Brighton. Petrol was available but did not need any. Next was Eastbourne. Bit of a pain as you have to lock in and out but petrol was only 0.72p which was the same price as roadside at that time. Then Ramsgate where petrol was not available. Had to fill up using jerrycans from the roadside (long slog). Petrol is now available at Ramsgate but expensive and credit cards are not accepted. Last leg Ramsgate to Crouch.

I took 2 night stopovers but could easily have done it with 1. Only stopped at Brighton to fix tech problem.

Used approx 90 gallons of fuel.

Great Trip

Neale