Oh I do like a good bargain.

Concerto

Visit site
Today I won an eBay auction for a Top Climber that has never been used. New they are £325, but after an eBay discount I paid just under £100 including shipping. I only discovered the listing the night before, when I was just about to order a different mast climbing set up for £250.

This now adds to some bits I have bought on eBay rather than new for Concerto. These are my best buys.
A B&G wind strut, cost £215 compared to a quoted £650 from B&G.
2 Loos rigging guages (the first could not handle the 20% tension on my cap shrouds on my ¾ rig), but both cost less than one new one.
5 new stainless steel stanchion bases for £50 - the remaining 3 cost over £50!

What are your best eBay bargains?

Bobc

Visit site
I won an auction for 50m of 10mm anchor chain that had only been used for a couple of weeks for £17.

It was so ridiculously cheap, that I bought the seller a nice bottle of wine too.

Minerva

Visit site
I "Won" a wayfarer for £100, a windsurfer (with never used mylar sail) for 99p and best of all a good quality, custom made & lightly used canvas full winter boat cover for the same make & model 34ft boat I have for £40!!

fredrussell

Visit site
Today I won an eBay auction for a Top Climber that has never been used…

Top tip: buy a Petzl ‘Stop’ descender. I have the same setup as yours, albeit made up of a climbing gear assortment. Going up is lovely and quick, coming down less so. A Petzl Stop makes the descent a 10 second affair in complete control.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
An unused Jeckells mitre cut genoa, just had to make the luff about 6" shorter, and fit a UV strip. About 14 yrs ago, cost from memory was £100! And I sold the old one on ebay Many other bargains too numerous to list.
ps don't bother with unknown double braid polyester - cheap, but absolute rubbish as it's impossible to splice!

Concerto

Visit site
Top tip: buy a Petzl ‘Stop’ descender. I have the same setup as yours, albeit made up of a climbing gear assortment. Going up is lovely and quick, coming down less so. A Petzl Stop makes the descent a 10 second affair in complete control.
Thank you for the advice. I have just ordered a secondhand one for £41 including postage.

Elessar

Visit site
Today I won an eBay auction for a Top Climber that has never been used. New they are £325, but after an eBay discount I paid just under £100 including shipping. I only discovered the listing the night before, when I was just about to order a different mast climbing set up for £250.

This now adds to some bits I have bought on eBay rather than new for Concerto. These are my best buys.
A B&G wind strut, cost £215 compared to a quoted £650 from B&G.
2 Loos rigging guages (the first could not handle the 20% tension on my cap shrouds on my ¾ rig), but both cost less than one new one.
5 new stainless steel stanchion bases for £50 - the remaining 3 cost over £50!

What are your best eBay bargains?

A Sealine S37.

E8520EBA-ED20-485C-A925-39DB31596636.jpeg

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
You cynic you.
11 of 25 litre drums with undisturbed sealed caps.
Ahh, Straight off the back of the lorry then. Good to know you got quality ?
By the way You over paid Fourty Quid is the going rate
All you posters who paid more were conned for your flee bay second hand gear

Fourty quid for anything

. You can tell the best criminals by the speed they fence your gear:rolleyes:

Last edited:

V1701

Visit site
I also had a Topclimber off ebay, first time tried it I found it really hard. Use it on a rope pulled taught and secured close to the mast, really take your time and do little steps is way easier. Really good bit of kit....(y)

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
First thing I ever bought off eBay was a garmin 128 for 80 quid ten years ago. It was prob 15 years old at the time. Replaced the battery in it last year and I’ll get another 15 years I bet. Maybe not a bargain but it’s been great value. Nowadays it’s a low power backup to an N2k system but it does the anchor alarm job every night at anchor and continues to do that excellently.