Oh dear, this is quite pretty....

Ocean Star

Visit site
Lovely boat - but - ongoing maintenance and associated costs make it a no go. Marina fees alone for us would be over £300 PCM. Never known a boat not to need looking after, but some more than others :)

Visit site
Appalling, not appealing! From a personal perspective, no thanks, but no doubt someone will fall in love with it.........and once our fishing waters are our own again, could be a useful income support.

Having once owned a 60 ft Danish wooden fishing vessel - run Forrest run would be my take - but that was a working one which endured a hard life - it was a very happy day the day that she went to be broken up, she was one character building lady.

On the potential income stream - you would need to get her on the UK Fishing vessel registry which would be impossible (MCA would treat her as a new build and all the Regs that go with that) and purchase a UK Pressure Stock Licence to fit the HP and Tonnage - I would guess currently well into six figures and Brexit may well escalate this considerably. I would imagine if at all possible it would be a serious drain rather than stream :-(

Poignard

Visit site
I think the best way of keeping interesting old boats like this in service is to do what I have seen in Brittany (and I'm sure it happens elsewhere). That is to form a trust to buy and maintain the vessel, with trust members and associates paying an annual subscription and working on maintaining her. In return they get opportunities to enjoy sailing in her without it costing them a great deal.
Ambassadeur de l’ile de Noirmoutier | Amis du Martroger

The Nancy Blackett Trust is an example here.
The Nancy Blackett Trust - Arthur Ransome's East Coast

The worse thing that can happen to these boats is that some well-intentioned but unrealistic dreamer buys them and can't keep up with the demands of time and money needed to maintain them. Then they begin to deteriorate and in a few years end up as a rotting eyesore, too far gone to save.

Last edited:

Bajansailor

Visit site
I love that wonderful controllable pitch propeller - maybe a Hundested (sp?) and left over from when she was working as a fishing trawler?
And the gearing ratio on the steering wheel..
I wonder if she originally had a big single cylinder engine, like a Wichmann or similar? If so, she probably blew smoke rings as well.
Here is a video of one manoeuvering
It shows the skipper winding up the pitch with a hand crank wheel - I couldn't see anything similar in the helm photo, but a lot is hidden from view here.
One aspect that I am not so keen on - that inner ceiling (timber liner) on the inboard side of the frames in the fore cabin. I would prefer to have the frames exposed.

Bajansailor

Visit site
I knew the previous previous owners of former Norwegian fishing vessel Lista Light in the 80's, when she still had her original Wichmann single cylinder semi-diesel with a massive 2 blade controllable pitch propeller - the Wichmann was a huge beast, in an engine room that took up almost a fifth of the boat's length. And I seem to remember that the flywheel weighed almost half a tonne......
It was a tempermental beast, and only Noel (her owner) was on good terms with it - even so, it took a few hours of preparation before it would even agree to starting up (on compressed air).
Lista Light website
I sailed on her on an overnight passage from Southampton to Plymouth in April 1982 - this was the first leg of another voyage she undertook to the Caribbean. I remember we were arriving in Plymouth at first light and seeing the requisitioned RO/RO container ship 'Atlantic Conveyor' at anchor in the Sound, being loaded up prior to departure for the Falklands, where she was later sunk (?) by an Exocet missile. :(

Wansworth

Visit site
Probably the last supply of working boats suitable for conversation to sail along with the supply of “Baltic Traders” .....Scandinavia.There used to be an agent in Chichester that had many on its books.