Odd Weather Event

Lakesailor

Visit site
I've been polishing my tender in the garden in the sunshine.
Lovely, warm, hardly any breeze.

Suddenly it became very dark and a terrific wind arose. Lasted for about 15 minutes.
The lake transformed from blue and serene to rolling crests (pretty unusual, when you get breaking crests it's usually on a short chop).

Back to sunny and blue now. Very odd.

machurley22

Visit site
Ascribe it to what you will but there is some odd weather about at the moment. It's only a 5 mile journey and it was dry and mild when I left work and the same when I arrived home but I passed through a heavy shower of sleet on the way.

KREW2

Visit site
Indeed, I'm in Bowness at the moment. A large Hanse was being delivered to the boatyard at ferry Nab. As the sun was shining I walked down to have alook at it, 2 minutes later I was sheltering from a hail storm.

Lakesailor

Visit site
do the waves ever get in

does it ever run out of water

Dylan
Haven't run out yet although the depth gauge I put in has been at 14", but I think the boat will float in less than 10".
It's also deeper near the doors so I could moor nose-in and near the doors. I'd only need about 6" then.

After a few days of rain the water level is over 30" and the water comes in over the jetty at that. However it was cleverly built with the jetty running uphill towards the back so there is plenty of room for deep water still.

Boathousegraph14May.jpg

Croak

www.yotblog.com
We had one of them camping at the YMCA. Wind SW good sailing weather, then I saw this dark grey cloud rolling down the lake from the north. Got up and ran to our merlin Rocket not tied to the trailer, But thankfully didn't get there on time, the wind, felt like a F8, lifted it off the trailer and smashed it on the ground (dry capsize) Dead Merlin Rocket.

As far as I could see all the boats on the lake capsized and a lot of tent damage.

It must have lasted for about 2 minutes.

then back round to a force 3 SW.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Strange. It probably happens all the time but I've lived here 10 years now, in sight of the lake, and it's the first time I've noticed it.

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
I've been polishing my tender in the garden in the sunshine.
Lovely, warm, hardly any breeze.

Suddenly it became very dark and a terrific wind arose. Lasted for about 15 minutes.
The lake transformed from blue and serene to rolling crests (pretty unusual, when you get breaking crests it's usually on a short chop).

Back to sunny and blue now. Very odd.

Looks beerforce 8 to me..

ValleyForge

Visit site
Checked out the mooring the day before, felt like early March / late October. Keep saying I'll put the boat on when it warms up a bit. That'll be August then.

bikedaft

Visit site
ps was the stronger wind always from the same direction?

we had an episode nr loch sween where a very strong wind came up from nowhere thru night, then very calm, then very windy but from 180 degrees, ie probably as per my pic above, but it was pitch black

Lakesailor

Visit site
I didn't want to have an unrealistic, start-first-pull, sort of film :D

Oh, BTW in answer to Dylan's question which I overlooked. Built 1783.
Mr William Wilberforce will have taken the boat out from there each day for his morning row whilst he spent the summers there until 1788

William Wilberforce, 1759-1833, spent time at Rayrigg. From here he would row to Lady Holme where he planned legislation against the slave trade.
the Taylor family had been convinced of the iniquity of slavery. In 1807 The Abolition of the Slave Trade Act had been passed on a wave of popular support, largely engendered by William Wilberforce. Wilberforce may personally have influenced the Taylors; between 1780 and 1788 he had rented Rayrigg Hall from Isabella's family.

Last edited: