ny key broke

nickfabbri

Visit site
can anyoneone ofer suggerstions . I have a marine engine panel with the key snapped off in the ignition. Any idea how to get it out or do i have to buy a new lock. I have already tried with fine tweezers and no joy

MoodySabre

Visit site
I had this happen with a car key. Blob of super glue on the end and poke it back in, count to 30 and pull gently (whilst holding breath that you haven't stuck the whole thing up). Worked for me.

Gin

Visit site
If it is not a non-ferrous key, how about a strong magnet?

I had a similar thing last season and had already partly dismantled the panel, ready to short out the circuit when I discovered that a tiny jewellers screwdriver could actually just flip the broken blade out as the switch itself was old and worn.

Could you be so lucky too?

Duncantaz

Visit site
A trick I have used with snapped keys in furniture is to lever it out using two notice board pins (the ones with the coloured plastic tops). They need to be very sharp.

RobinA

www.wcih.co.uk
Take the the whole mechanism down to your local locksmith - mine was Timpsons. They have very fine tools that they slide or twist in beside the key and then pull it out. Its very clever, but I left mine for 18 months (using the stubby screwdriver instead) only to discover the key had rusted in - so next time I shall be straight down to the locksmiths.

fireball

Visit site
How much did he charge? We tried to get some boat keys from him, but because they were "non-standard" he'd have to order them in, minimum qty was 2 and wouldn't guarentee that they'd work ... oh - and that'd be a tenner please. .... bother that - SWMBO went to Southampton and got a single key for <£5 with the promise that if it doesn't fit properly bring it back and he'd have another go ....

As for getting the key out of a lock - I managed to snap off my key in the washboard ... just took the lock apart ... didn't take 10 minutes ... took 20 to put it all back again though!!