Now a thought ...

G

I know it would only be a short stop gap solution to many ... given some boats fuel consumption ... but to many sail it could be a longer term answer.

I don't live in UK much - so I don't follow the rules and regs too closely unless they are of particular interest on a subject I'm involved in etc. - but :

While Red is still a viable legal fuel for boating ... what stops an enterprising person buying up repeated lots ... stocking up so to speak ... a small addition of biocide maybe to help storage ... a significant stock could be built up surely ...
Later when red is not available - cut into the stock say mixing with white ? As long as you have the sales receipts and especially with a sail boat that often fuel is long term in tank ... ??
Daft idea I know ... but ??

fireball

Visit site
Do you not have to have a license to store fuel over a certain volume?

But I suppose 10 jerry cans would last us 5 seasons ... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]

But I suppose 10 jerry cans would last us 5 seasons ... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

True ... but how much does average raggie need ? And if you store sensibly - who's going to know ? Buying in jerry cans worth at intervals ... soon mounts up.

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

duncanmack

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You only need a license to store Petroleum Spirit.

Diesel is not petroleum spirit so you can store as much as you want in 5 gallon plastic drums. Or, if you wish, in any tank up to 250 gallons capacity (multiples even) or in a single tank over 250 gallons if it is bunded.
Same regs as central heating fuel apply. Not onerous.

gandy

Aberdeenshire (quite far from the Solent)
Visit site
Quite practical. Last year we only used 30 litres, so with a 45 litre tank and a few jerry cans we'd be set up for a few years.

I wonder whether the scare stories about being obliged to dispose of unused fuel etc are being put about to deter people from doing exactly this.

lloydy

Visit site
Hahaha, to give you some idea at work we buy 15,000 litres of red at a time and when all our tanks are full there is easily 20,000 litres on site. All stored in metal, single skinned tanks, becuase its only if your installing or moving an existing tank does it need to apply to the current rules re; bunding. If they were installed before the current regs they are perfectly legal. Througout the year we may use about 30,000 litres I would guess, quite probally more. I work in agriculture and to dry the grain we burn huge ammounts of diesel, up to a litre a mineut. Thats on top of a combine which uses 300 litres a day and 2 tractors + forklift each using 75 a day.

cliff

Visit site
Your point is?
[ QUOTE ]
Hahaha, to give you some idea at work we buy 15,000 litres of red at a time and when all our tanks are full there is easily 20,000 litres on site.

[/ QUOTE ]So you are only a small user then? - 20K litres is less than 5000 gallons.[ QUOTE ]
Througout the year we may use about 30,000 litres I would guess, quite probally more. I work in agriculture and to dry the grain we burn huge ammounts of diesel, up to a litre a mineut. Thats on top of a combine which uses 300 litres a day and 2 tractors + forklift each using 75 a day.

[/ QUOTE ]Like I said - small user. On one site I visit they go through around 7k GALLONS per DAY, every day - now that is some serious fuel burn.

I am surprised you actually took the time to register to post.
--------------------
hammer.thumb.gif
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
sailroom <span style="color:red">The place to auction your previously loved boatie bits</span>

Micky

Visit site
I think, so I'm told, that the time dates were set to allow everyone time to use up any surplus of red diesel and get their tanks sorted out, cleaned/replaced, as from the date of changeover it will be illegal to use it. Hence anyone with a surplus of stock will need to dispose of it at legally at their own expense. So the more you stock up, the greater the expense will be to get it removed.

Not positive if any of this hearsay is right/wrong, but i would think that stocking red could backfire on the people who try to save a few pence and end up costing a lot more to dispose of it.

Nickcf

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think, so I'm told, that the time dates were set to allow everyone time to use up any surplus of red diesel and get their tanks sorted out, cleaned/replaced, as from the date of changeover it will be illegal to use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard/read nothing that says boat owners will have to clean their tanks. Pointless in any event, as red will still be available in the channel islands so many boats will have red diesel in their tanks for the forseeable future if they visit CI.

G

As I understand it - you use it up as you do ... no date of must be out of your tank. As long as you can show purchase validity ... (receipt) ....

I don't think anyone in reality is going to require to change tanks / clean them ... if so - I might start a new company !!

gandy

Aberdeenshire (quite far from the Solent)
Visit site
The government budget announcement used the following wording ...

Following the expiry of the UK’s derogations from the Energy Products Directive on 31 December 2006, from 1 November 2008 fuel used for the purposes of private pleasure flying and private pleasure boating will no longer benefit from the current reduced and exempt rates of duty.

Note they say "used" not "bought". I think its still highly unclear what the situation will be regarding fuel bought before the cut-off but used after.