Notices to Mariners - Week 21

DanTribe

Visit site
Septaria perhaps? Felixstowe 'cliffs' comprised of it and in the late 18th century stone was dredged off the West Rocks. "In 1851, as many as 400 smacks were at work there racing each other every morning and night to the Rocks and back. The dredgermen received about five shillings a ton..... Harwich cement manufactuers supplied some ofthe cement with which the Tower Bridge was built". It is argued that the dredging changed the coastline.
Apparently there was a major industry producing "Roman cement" in Waldringfield, using septaria from various sources including boulders from Harwich and Deben mud. The works closed about 1907.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I was thinking along the lines of a concrete block. As you say, there's no sign of any complex structure, but the apparently straight edges suggest something man-made. That smaller object to the top right - could that suggest a buried object with only parts being exposed?

Without further investigation, I think we can only speculate.
On further examination of the image, there's a faint indication of a linear structure to the right and below the axis between the rectangular object and the isolated bump to the top right. It is roughly in the right place to be the bulwark of a vessel buried in the sand.

tillergirl

Visit site
AP - yes I did see the 'shadow' of the shape of a vessel. Indeed, if I perm colours, contrast, brightness you could argue a small fishing vessel with a wheelhouse that has been knocked over with the stud of a foremast. But it is all speculation.

RR - one chum reckoned it was ordnance.

I don't think there has been any wreck reported there in recent years. We will get down there; want to get there at lowish water and have a good look. On a slighty different topic, Monday's plan for the SW Sunk is looking doubtful (again) because of the weather.