Not really a live aboard question, but I think the people with the knowledge to answer it might be found here.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I have a friend whom I have known for years who works on big yachts, but she isn’t European; she’s east Asian. This is annoying from a career point of view, as almost by definition the big yachts that she works on are in Europe as as the managers and agents, and the inconvenience has grown as she has worked her way up from galley slave to deckhand to chief officer. She is wondering about acquiring right of abode and perhaps a second citizenship in a European nation or even the UK, but Catch-22 for the professional seafarer is that in most countries you acquire right of abode by residence, and. seafarer isn’t resident at home except when on leave. Is there anywhere that is an exception to this rule?

PlanB

Visit site
This gives the position as far as the UK is concerned.
Check if you can get indefinite leave to remain
Almost certainly she won't qualify for a work visa, and doesn't have the residence qualifications.
So, unless she has UK links via parents, spouse etc........

EU rules will have to be checked spearately, unless someone on here comes along with an answer.

Kukri

Visit site
Thanks for the link, which I’ve sent her. Yes, the UK is definitely out. Time spent at Warsash, at the National Sailing Centre and on UK flagged super yachts does not count! :rolleyes:

It’s probably impossible anywhere, without cheating, like a fake job or a fake marriage, which she won’t do.

Last edited:

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Does the boat have a permanent berth? if it does does she stay in the port in rented accommodation periodically? I knew of Australian crew on a yacht that had a permanent berth in a French port, she overwintered in France in rented accommodation and ultimately obtained a Carte de Séjour which initially is for 5 years and can be extended after the first period. The key is in having a fixed address rented is OK and then the utility bills to and income prove stability. I read that Poignard had used his marina berth as an address to obtain a CdS don't know if that option would be feasible as it's not her boat.

billskip

Visit site
Thanks for the link, which I’ve sent her. Yes, the UK is definitely out. Time spent at Warsash, at the National Sailing Centre and on UK flagged super yachts does not count! :rolleyes:

It’s probably impossible anywhere.
I dont think its impossible anywhere, Europe has legal immigration, unless there is some reason for rejection like criminal record

billskip

Visit site
Temporary 5 year residence in Spain requires an address,health insurance and 5k euros in a Spanish bank.
An address is easy, health insurance and the 5k euros are something that is only required at time of application....

billskip

Visit site
It's not the acquisition of the temp residence that is difficult, its complying with the rules after, like you are only allowed outside of the country ( Spain for example)for 90 days in 180and if you are out of the country for more than 183 days your residence is terminated

Kukri

Visit site
This is getting interesting; she just chalked up three years “mostly in Barcelona”, but obviously that was due to Covid. The two yachts on adjacent berths to her last one are now going nowhere as they are owned by Russians, so maybe a job on a Russian (she says they are all fully crewed and the crew get paid!).

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
There was talk of crews and agencies coming under sanction plus both being unpaid or laid off as a consequence of sanctions which are only likely to get worse. Not a recommended move imo.

WindyWindyWindy

Visit site
Temporary 5 year residence in Spain requires an address,health insurance and 5k euros in a Spanish bank.
An address is easy, health insurance and the 5k euros are something that is only required at time of application....
Is that right? I know UK citizens (so also non-EU) that are using the non-lucrative visa to stay in Spain, if they could get temp residence it would have been much easier for them.

billskip

Visit site
Is that right? I know UK citizens (so also non-EU) that are using the non-lucrative visa to stay in Spain, if they could get temp residence it would have been much easier for them.
As far as I know yes, but it does not necessarily follow that permission to work is granted,also in some cases a temp visa is issued for 6 months renewable, also without work permit.
It really all depends on the applicant and their individual needs, all that is initially needed is an address, full medical insurance, and €5k bank account.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I have a friend whom I have known for years who works on big yachts, but she isn’t European; she’s east Asian. This is annoying from a career point of view, as almost by definition the big yachts that she works on are in Europe as as the managers and agents, and the inconvenience has grown as she has worked her way up from galley slave to deckhand to chief officer. She is wondering about acquiring right of abode and perhaps a second citizenship in a European nation or even the UK, but Catch-22 for the professional seafarer is that in most countries you acquire right of abode by residence, and. seafarer isn’t resident at home except when on leave. Is there anywhere that is an exception to this rule?

In Belgium, there's a thing called a 'addresse de reference'.
It's set up specifically for people such as your friend.
A former coleague of mine, who's a full-time liveaboard, uses it and has no complaints.

Qu’est-ce qu’une adresse de référence et à quoi sert-elle ?

ean_p

Visit site
It's not the acquisition of the temp residence that is difficult, its complying with the rules after, like you are only allowed outside of the country ( Spain for example)for 90 days in 180and if you are out of the country for more than 183 days your residence is terminated
Hi Bill, have you a link that details the less than 90 days requirements please. My understanding is that you must spend a minimum of six months a year in country! I am frequently wrong sadly! Incidentally it's possible to get a residency without a Spanish bank account! ?

billskip

Visit site
Hi Bill, have you a link that details the less than 90 days requirements please. My understanding is that you must spend a minimum of six months a year in country! I am frequently wrong sadly! Incidentally it's possible to get a residency without a Spanish bank account! ?
Hi, I have it written in the papers I was issued when I made my application, it clearly stated that I must advise if I intended to be out of Spain for more than 90 days,I am sure anyone who has applied will have this info. I must stress that the permit is a
" temporary residence" for the first 5 yrs, a lot of people refer to it as being a tax "NIE" .
As for the bank all people I know , also it was printed on a declaration form that I had to have either an S1 or a bank account with €5k plus health insurance ...I can only say what was on the official forms that I and othes had to sign .
I am on Tenerife, we know different districts have different laws/requirements.

KevinV

Visit site
No help I'm afraid, but I shall be fascinated to hear how she balances being domiciled for living purposes with not being domiciled for tax purposes (being a seafarer). I wonder if a call to a maritime workers union would be worth a try?

Kukri

Visit site
No help I'm afraid, but I shall be fascinated to hear how she balances being domiciled for living purposes with not being domiciled for tax purposes (being a seafarer). I wonder if a call to a maritime workers union would be worth a try?

Thirty years ago, back before the madness overtook us, I had loads of seafaring friends who lived in Spain. I have an idea (probably wrong!) that a seafarer is domiciled for tax but not actually taxed. She carries an Asean passport and belongs to the same union as I do ie Nautilus.