Not OK

Never Grumble

Visit site
I was on that Solent Boating Facebook group ... in the end I gave up on it and left. Too many people who thought they were restricted in their ability to manoeuvre or constrained by their draft ... didn't understand those rules didn't apply to them, but they had a great big boat with lots sticking out the water so of course it must, or overtaking and thought the slower boats should keep clear, and had trouble anticipating the relative movements of vessels in front. The atmosphere was so toxic that one wondered if it was really representative of the boating community, thankfully I don't think it is. Once I left my blood pressure reduced enormously.

BruceK

Visit site
Top bloody piracy right there. (y) If you can find the fella there is a spot in the Welsh Med vacated by Seastoke that he could fill nicely.

BruceK

Visit site
But of course buzzing Roy is a time old tradition that goes way back . He's the James May of the boating community.

:p

BruceK

Visit site
I'm going to be serious for a moment and say something contentious. In my neck of the woods I have never met a yottie thatwill reciprocate courtesy and understanding. In some of the tight channels they will hog it and do their 6 knots under power. My draft speed is slighly less efficient than theirs and if I slow down to the point I do not make wake I cannot overtake other than at the best of times mimicking two lorries overtaking on a twin lane A road. I have never seen a yottie slow just by 1 knot to facilitate a overtaking manouvre in mutual respect and courtesy. If you have long channels and waters like the Menai Strait such reciprocity would go a long way to smoothing relations but alas frustrations and glares from both sides. This of course does not excuse the behaviour in the photo which looks decidedly dangerous and not condoned.

oldgit

Visit site
Why assume it is a man could have been a woman !
Guess 😂
Cos every single prat that has ever come that close at that speed to me has been a bloke and going to guess he never started his boating in anything small enough to ever appreciate with everything that is wrong with what he has just done.
First thing that was ever knocked into me when earning a living on the water was when passing anything ease down and if required wait until it was OK to pass.

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
Guess 😂
Cos every single prat that has ever come that close at that speed to me has been a bloke and going to guess he never started his boating in anything small enough to ever appreciate with everything that is wrong with what he has just done.
First thing that was ever knocked into me when earning a living on the water was when passing anything ease down and if required wait until it was OK to pass.
Twice…once a motorboat once a yacht…the husband has handed over the wheel to a nervous female with the instructions of keep going straight…I’ve had to take evasive action despite being in the right..while the terrified woman just starred at me like a rabbit in the headlights.
There are plenty of wonderful helmswomen experienced and qualified out there, including the wife…