Not boaty and not East Coast but......

tillergirl

Visit site
Yesterday joined as a guest for a trip to France for lunch with a local businessmen's luncheon club. The only boating bit is the three and a half hours on Mr P & O to Calais of which two hours was hove to off Calais while the tide dropped.

But the point of the post is that before lunch, as it is that time of year, the group visited a small community cemetary at Wemille, a small village north of Boulouge, to visit seven Commonwealth War Graves for a small act of remebrance. There are buried the six members of a crew of a Wellington and one Hurricane Pilot. The Wellington took off from RAF Wyton in Cambridgeshire on 12th March, 1941 to bomb Invasion barges being gathered at Boulougne. Their Wellington was shot down and all six perished. The pilot and co-pilot were 19 years old. The remainder of the crew were 21.

The lone Hurricane pilot took off from North Weald on 5th February, 1941 on a Battle of Britain sortie. In the dog fighting melee, he chased a Heinkel 111 across the Channel and was bounced by 2 Messershmitts. He was 24.

I guess when we enjoy our boating, there are many to whom we should be grateful.

FullCircle

Visit site
The smaller Graves of Remembrance are very poignant. You don't always need to go to the likes of Verdun or Ypres. Well done for going on our behalf.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Indeed, we should be grateful.

Both my kids are joining in with Rememberance parades tommorrow, with the Scouting and Sea Cadets associations, both of whom are to be commended for ensuring that the next generation of children are reminded of the sacrifices made.

I partially agree with Jim's comments about the small memorials and their poignancy, but have to say that visiting one of the large ones is a sombering experience.

Did anyone see the very elderly chap on the 10 O'clock news last night.... 111yrs old, and his prayers that we never have another war. Brought a lump to my throat.

tillergirl

Visit site
Yes. I saw that piece on the news and I agree with you.

I can't claim any credit as I was a guest. But it is annual thing they do. Last year with visited the grave of a seven man Lancaster crew in Wissant just up the road. It was rather touching that the locals had placed flowers on the graves in that village.

alldownwind

Visit site
We often drive along that bit of coast on a day out. We shall make a point of visiting these cemetaries at Wemille and Wissant next time.
Been to a small one much further inland to find wife's uncle's grave from WWI; not only are these very poignant places it is deeply humbling to see how the locals look after them.

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
There is a war cemetry in Calais itself. Very moving.

Been there a couple of times when we go to Calais at end of May with an Hon Member of the RNSA who was left in Calais as Dunkirk was being evacuated. Their orders were to hold on to Calais for as long as possible to help divide the German attack. On the Weds prior to the end of May BH there is a rememberance parade on the breakwater for the Queen Victoria Rifles.

Fascinating chap - he still sails at 87! A couple of years ago he sold his Contessa 26 and went upmarket to a Barbary Ketch. Well with 2 plastic knees he needed a bit of comfort! Hope I am as active as he is if I get to that age.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
What amazes me is the impact craters all along the coast south of Calais. I ride motorbikes as well, and the Moto Guzzi club is doing a trip to the war graves next year. I intend to take part. I rode past Verdun this year and you could feel the atmosphere in the place.

johnalison

Visit site
Thanks, it's always interesting to hear about these places. FC's point about small graves is also very true, especially when one comes upon them unexpectedly. Here are a couple of pictures taken when I was cycling through a Polish forest near Swinouijsce. It was miles from anywhere and incredibly peaceful. The memorial of made from the tail section of a Lancaster.
702.jpg

703.jpg

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
In the park up near the railway station is a museum in a series of bunkers in French and English which gives a flavour of what it must have been like.

Germans shelling from the land and Allies shelling from the sea. Its a wonder anything remained standing.

Also in the Park is a monument to Lady Hamilton as she died in Calais.

CPD

Visit site
I used to to drive Paris to Brussels on a fairly regular basis and often took time out to visit the smaller cemeteries and memorials from the Somme. Incredibly moving.