North Wales boating for a newbie

SealineTony

Visit site
After floating on a lake for the last 5 years we have sold our S28 and have no berths available for our desired size of boat e.g. S37. In any case it is probably time for a change of scenery and mental challenge before we get too old for it. North Wales is reachable within a couple of hours max from our home.

The intention would be to find a nice marina with a community that perhaps offered cruising in company for the inexperineced along with the option to gain professional qualifications via RYA. Comments and experience of others is most welcome

kawasake

Visit site
After floating on a lake for the last 5 years we have sold our S28 and have no berths available for our desired size of boat e.g. S37. In any case it is probably time for a change of scenery and mental challenge before we get too old for it. North Wales is reachable within a couple of hours max from our home.

The intention would be to find a nice marina with a community that perhaps offered cruising in company for the inexperineced along with the option to gain professional qualifications via RYA. Comments and experience of others is most welcome
High again
Sealine Tony
About your ambitions to obtain professional/ commercial quals I can help with that too in in North Wales in due course
I’ve had boats on moorings in the Strait
Dinorwic Marina
Conwy marina
Deganwy currently
Caernarfon Victoria Doc
Temporarily
They all have pros and cons
Lots to talk about and think about!
Cheers
K

SealineTony

Visit site
High again
Sealine Tony
About your ambitions to obtain professional/ commercial quals I can help with that too in in North Wales in due course
I’ve had boats on moorings in the Strait
Dinorwic Marina
Conwy marina
Deganwy currently
Caernarfon Victoria Doc
Temporarily
They all have pros and cons
Lots to talk about and think about!
Cheers
K
Thank you twice K ;):)

I really hope to be chatting to you soon. Just to clarify my ambitions I really meant gaining the experience and knowledge on RYA courses to be able to handle, navigate and look after myself and the crew safely in the water. Too old and creaky for commercial work, just want to enjoy the waters in late retirement.

My late parents lived on Anglesey for many years and we got to know the land at least quite well. Summer evenings I used to drag the family down for a walk around Dinorwic marina and talk (bore them!) about the boats we saw. I believe that it was left to go to ruin for some time but is now taken over and someone is rejuvenating the area. Have also stayed at the Quays in Deganwy a couple of times - enjoyed eating at Nikki Ips

kawasake

Visit site
Hey!
I’m old and creaky too!😁
Still do some bits and bobs of ‘commercial’ stuff though
Yes, P Dinorwic Marina has had some ‘awkward’ times latterly but as said there seems to be a Future there now,that’s good
Yes it’s a good idea to do some RYA courses
I still do those quite regularly
Whatever motor boat you land up with I can use my local knowledge to help there
I still ‘work’ part time
It’s tough work
Helming motorboats etc etc!
We have an Aquastar 38 in Deganwy at the mo
She is Old but seaworthy
Peeps ask me ‘what yer doin these days K’?
My stock reply is
‘I look after two Old Ladies now Mate
One in Deganwy and one at Home’!
Wifey knows, She just calls me ‘a sad old git’
😱😁
Catcha later
K

SealineTony

Visit site
Many thanks from one 'sad old git' to another ;)😂
I look forward to getting the opportunity to catch up later. It seems that Deganwy may not have a berth for us as I had filled in a berthing enquiry form some weeks ago and yet to have a response.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Many thanks from one 'sad old git' to another ;)😂
I look forward to getting the opportunity to catch up later. It seems that Deganwy may not have a berth for us as I had filled in a berthing enquiry form some weeks ago and yet to have a response.
You need to phone, not email, unless they keep hearing from you then they don’t know you’re serious. Ideally, go and see them in person.

kawasake

Visit site
Let me know when you intend to visit
I’ve not been to the boat since Friday
Will be there Wed / Thur/ Fri/ Sat/ Sun
More than likely
Know the Staff and the MD of the Marina quite well
We could have a chat too
Oh!
Weathers dry Wed according to the forecast,not much wind
Gate opens 13.00 ish I think
Could have a ride out?

SealineTony

Visit site
More than likely
We could have a chat too
Oh!
Could have a ride out?
Thank you so much for your kind and generous offer. We are coming across on Thursday all being well with my wife and son to visit Conwy marina for a tour. Wife is the nervous one about putting out to sea (tbh I am not too far behind :cautious:) son is there to offer support. ;):)

Would not want to put you to any trouble or expense but certainly would appreciate a chat and the benefit of your advice. Probably looking at arriving early - mid afternoon Thursday.

If you are there how would we make contact, recognise each other as it seems I am not yet allowed to send or receive PM's?

SealineTony

Visit site
Don’t let Kwackers fool you….hes a YouTube superstar in disguise!

You won’t got wrong Sealine Tony under Kwackers expert wing 👍
I'm now intrigued having watched a few YouTube videos remember seeing one of a young couple refurbishing a boat and making the trip from Pwhelli to Deganwy with an experienced mentor on board. I said to SWMBO that this is the type of help we would seek out before venturing out solo.

SealineTony

Visit site
More than likely
We could have a chat too
Oh!
Could have a ride out?
Looks like I have made the grade and can now send and receive PM's. I have just sent you one as a test

ashtead

Visit site
I have just been watching the Bumbling sailor who is visiting various Boatfolk marina as he gets free berthing. Anyway he shows north Wales marina at C in some detail in case of interest plus a castle and suchlike . I’ve never been there but as an intro to area might be of interest to newbie boaters looking for a marina etc.