North sea crossing (from Denmark to Norway)

anjolain

Visit site
Planning to sail from the Baltic sea to Norway in June. I consider the North sea crossing to be the most challenging part of the journey. Route via Limfjorden would be chosen in case of persisting westerly winds in order to achieve better wind angle for SW Norway. But the route via Skagen is also an option if weather is favourable.

I don´t have previous North sea experience, so would be interested to hear some views on weather conditions in North sea at that time of the year and some suggestions for the route.

alant

Visit site
Planning to sail from the Baltic sea to Norway in June. I consider the North sea crossing to be the most challenging part of the journey. Route via Limfjorden would be chosen in case of persisting westerly winds in order to achieve better wind angle for SW Norway. But the route via Skagen is also an option if weather is favourable.

I don´t have previous North sea experience, so would be interested to hear some views on weather conditions in North sea at that time of the year and some suggestions for the route.

Surely your talking about the Skagerrak , not the the North Sea.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com

I did the trip from Skagen to Lillesand once in an Albin Vega - F5-6 hard on the wind. It took about 22 hours with me on the helm for 18 of them, and was not the pleasantest sail I've ever had. The sea conditions were dreadful at first as a gale had just gone through, but were not exceptional for the wind thereafter, and the entrance into Lillesand was reasonably straightforward. Once there you can take the very pretty inside route to Kristiansund.

- W

BabaYaga

Visit site
Departing from Hirtshals could also be an option and possibly the shortest crossing from Jutland to Norway (Kristiansand area). I have made the trip several times, both from Skagen and Hirtshals. Much prefer the latter, as clearing the Skaw puts you quite a few miles eastwards before being able to head NW.

From memory the distance from Hirtshals to Kristiansand is something like 60 miles, so could be done during the day with an early start, especially in June. Going by night and arriving in broad daylight is safer, though.

I have never gone by Limfjorden, but if you do and then head for e.g. Farsund, you will indeed sail in the North Sea all the way.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Departing from Hirtshals could also be an option and possibly the shortest crossing from Jutland to Norway (Kristiansand area). I have made the trip several times, both from Skagen and Hirtshals. Much prefer the latter, as clearing the Skaw puts you quite a few miles eastwards before being able to head NW.

From memory the distance from Hirtshals to Kristiansand is something like 60 miles, so could be done during the day with an early start, especially in June. Going by night and arriving in broad daylight is safer, though.

I have never gone by Limfjorden, but if you do and then head for e.g. Farsund, you will indeed sail in the North Sea all the way.

Hirtschals to Kristiansand is about 70nm. Skagen to Lillesand is about 85nm. In June there is only about 4 hours darkness.

- W

richardsn9

Visit site
If time is not of the essence, the Bohuslan islands inshore route is very attractive, with some stunning nature harbours, and you can stay mostly inside the islands until you are north of Stromstad and into Norwegian waters?