North Sea boltholes?

snowleopard

Visit site
due to set out from Moray Firth for the Solent in a couple of days. Any tips on good boltholes to wait out the inevitable bad weather gratefully received.

On previous trips have used Peterhead, Grimsby & Ramsgate but may need others in between.

Thanks all

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: Sunderland

Er also the river tyne.. either the Port of Tyne itself (right by the blinking eye bridge) .. its a quite a long way up river.. nearer the mouth there's a new marina and also the old fishing port of North Shields (minus the fishing fleet).. Probably the best solution would be to contact the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rnyc.org.uk/>Royal Northumberland Yacht Club</A> who are bringing out a pilot for their stretch of coast .. I think it goes up as far as the Firth of Forth too.... Isn't Whitby a possiblility too and then there is the Humber estuary.. guess its a case of life north of Watford or should I say the Thames Estuary! ;)

... what about Hartlepool too???

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Ohdrat on 26/10/2002 22:05 (server time).</FONT></P>

Jeremy_W

Visit site
Re: Sunderland

>>>guess its a case of life north of Watford or should I say the Thames Estuary! ;)

I can't comment as I've never sailed the Thames Estuary, but I did sail a couple of years out of Sunderland and then Amble. The Tyne Marinas were built since I left, but the Tyne River entrance can be nastier in a blow than Sunderland.
Amble and Blyth are fine but accessible only for a part of the tide. The entrance to Berwick is a bit tricky and the harbour dries out.

I forgot about Middlesbrough - if you've ever been nightclubbing there you'd want to forget it - and I've never been to the Humber, but hear it's a long hike from the marina to the sea (as it is from the river mouth to Newcastle).

Last time I checked Whitby was in Yorkshire and I was commenting on the stretch of coast between Scotland and Yorkshire. For the reasons given, I hold that Sunderland is the best of the bunch for an all-tide all-weather bolthole. The marina is close to the harbour entrance and, if you're lucky, the Wear Boating Association is still there serving cheap Fed Special.

G

If you find yourself in the Thames Estuary, then Queenborough YC have reasonable moorings. It's only about 1-2 miles inside the R,Medway after that theres nothing until Ramsgate. Just follow the east shore into the river.

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: You say Maccam and I say Makem

Not sure there is a correct spelling as it's a dialect not a language.. lol

dickh

Visit site
Harwich is easy to enter - but watch out for shipping(on average one every 4 minutes!) Shotley marina(locked) is always friendly and usually open 24 hrs, or even Harwich itself, on Halfpenny quay but only a few berths, or just up the Orwell, Suffolk yacht Haven.

dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :)

ponapay

Visit site
Eyemouth, Alnwick and Berwick

all good in SW. Also Whitby but there seem to be problems there with the bridge.

Gt Yarmouth, if you can stand E Anglia and all its shifting sands its a great place (in the summer).

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Harwich

The only 24 hour, all weather, bolt hole south of the Humber.

Approach is very easy from Northward, very well lit and buoyed.

yachtbits

www.yachtbits.com
Becareful of Gt Yarmouth

Be warned tidal flow in the river Yare is extremely fast, also very limited moorings/riverside facilities. better going 10 miles south to Lowestoft.

Royal Norfolk & Suffolk Yacht Club. Ignore old bad press in Sailing today mag. New staff now. Bar, laundry, showers, central in town and secure.

Good electronics (& rigging) support available locally!

kev

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachtbits.co.uk>http://www.yachtbits.co.uk</A>
sales@yachtbits.co.uk
marine electrics & electronics

Bergman

Visit site
Re: Eyemouth, Alnwick and Berwick

All OK in SW winds but all very tidal.

Do you mean Alnwick or Amble, Alnwick is a nightmare, entry virtually across beach. Don,t do it in a deep draft boat unless some local knowledge available.

Berwick can be tricky, worth a call to harbourmaster for pilotage info. SWMBO ran us aground there while directly on the transit. Mad as a wet hen she was.

Not been to Eyemouth since the changes but it looks much better, that training wall has gone apparently. Once saw a lady nearly lose her Vertue there.

My List would be:

Blyth
Tyne
Wear
Seaham (if absolutely necesary)
Hartlepool (Marina or Victoria Harbour)
Tees (again if absolutely necessary)

From there South you're struggling

Whitby is tidal, but a wide window
Forget Scarboro in any iffy weather
Brid similar
Humber can be nasty to get into in West or NWest winds (you have to have flood tide to get in)

Enjoy the trip