North Ionian harbours

RobbieW

Visit site
No charter boats. Just spoke to the guy, he said it hit his mast! Out of the 4 privately owned boats on this side his was the biggest (47ft) so I assume that's why his last got hit. Shame as its day one of his 6 week holiday.

But as you say no one was hurt.

Not necessarily because it was the tallest, lightning is something of a lottery. I would also suggest you thoroughly check all your electrical systems as near misses can take out components in a system. I've had two near misses in the Med over the last 3 years; the first, c. 200m, took out my radar and a few other odds and ends; the second, not sure how close, took out the wind instrument and the autopilot. One link between the two was NMEA0183 components; in the first I lost one output from the built in GPS, in the second the autopilot fault was diagnosed as the NMEA line driver chips on the board. I have concluded that NMEA0183 chips are susceptible to EMP events.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Yesterday was fun (not). Winds forecast as being a max of 15 knots on all the sites I looked at. We had sustained winds of 30mph with gusts over that from the east/south east. That kicked of 1 - 1.5 m waves so we had an uncomfortable time anchored off the chapel island by Vonitsa. But by about nine o'clock last night it had all gone quiet again and we're now sitting in Preveza, nil wind and sunshine. Had fun getting the anchor out this morning, it was well dug in!

santelmo

Visit site
We were alongside the town quay at Preveza at the south end and took a hell of a battering against the concrete. It was impossible to get away. I hear that there were some boats damaged, the ones that were stern to at the north end. There were boats moving around all day looking for shelter. I also heard a mayday at 0500 from a boat on Meganisi. Back on the anchorage again also.

Hardmy

Visit site
Happened to me as well in October last year, we were alongside quite near to the "marina" entrance. I had all fenders out, and pulled as much as I could on the kedge anchor attached on the central cleat. Still, the pressure on the fenders was huge. Some boats had their stern rubbing against the concrete because the anchor didn't hold enough. This night, many people slept in their cockpits...

At the end we didn't suffer from any damage, but now I know that in such winds, Preveza is not the place to be:
istioforoooo.jpg

ist.jpg

hawkesbaynz

Visit site
Safely home from a charter to the Northern Ionian this week. Spent Monday night on the South of Gaois having not found a spot on the North Harbout (where forementioned Sailing Holidays settled). Great start with a day tripper boat pulling up the anchor. Woke early morning with the amazing thunderstorm. South East winds rising. Then chaos....... Two more times the anchor was tripped, witnessed amazing scenes of yachts madly flailing around the harbour colliding and wrestling with anchors. Could not get away as a french charterer was settled on out starboard side and refused to leave and we spent the morning motoring off the wall. Eventually he gunned down the side of our yacht taking two fenders, loosening the guardrail and almost my wifes arm. (luckily he was with the same charter company and got charged accordingly).

We found a spot off the island as mentioned by a forumite above and I gladly swam to a ring on the shore to tie the boat off. Very tranquil spot to witness two poor yachts motor up and down the fairway for the next 18 hours before we had a brisk sail to Plataria.

Spoke to some folk who stayed overnight in Lakka. Apparently 50 yachts in there and they stayed up all Tuesday night getting giddy doing 360s around the anchor.

ostra4

Visit site
We were down in Nidri and had 60 knots of wind arriving like an express train at 0400 from virtually flat calm,we escaped with no damage but frayed nerves , a nearby yacht lost Bimini and spray hood ripped of in the wind .Once again the sheer ferocity of Greek weather was something to behold .

jonrarit

Visit site
We were in Preveza on the tuesday night against the harbour wall. Lumpy but no damage. Also in Mongonisi on the Wed and experienced the "funnelling" at 50 knots. Most boats at anchor dragged so was all fun and games in the pitch dark. Took three attempts to re anchor......and then the thunderstorms arrived, the last hit being less than a mile away and was very frightening ............ went for a quick dash into Gaos the following day only for the engine to fail 1/4 mile off the entrance in a big sea and following wind ...... decision was to attempt to sail through the entrance or attempt to sail out to sea ........... went for the latter with heart in mouth to clear the point. Ended up in an unplanned spirited sail to Mortos.

Lessons learned...take plenty spare clean underpants and never trust the bavaria fuel guage ......... low fuel & the slop caused the engine failure due to air being picked up.

Jonathan

Last edited:

SarahJ

Visit site
Just an update from my first post. We went from Lefkas to Lakka last Wednesday which was a good suggestion. Until the storm hit early Thursday and boats dragged, not us fortunately. Our spot became untenable with wind veering NE so a wet and bumpy sail to Platerias where there was space and a very good anchorage in the weather. Thanks again. Sun's out this week.

Cariadco

Visit site
Following the south Ionian Regatta in Nidri, last week, Nidri was fairly full but probably because of the regatta, Gaios was about 80% full.
In passing, first time I've been through Levkas for a few years and was amazed at a)the North entrance and b) the canal itself.
Both were very, very wide and 4 meters deep!!!
Regards.

jonrarit

Visit site
I'd agree Will, we went through for the first time in six years. The north entrance is a piece of cake now and cant say I miss the old "handbrake" turn in a following sea :) Looks odd on the GPS going over the land ..... old charts :)

The canal itself is well dredged and the bridge seems wider than I remember allowing two way traffic with ease ... maybe a bit tight if two catamarans met though.

Jonathan